ZX6R Brakes

Gregorious77

I have just won some 4 pots on evilbay for £21 to try out to see if they have more power than the standard 6 pots.

Anyone done this mod? was it any good?

I am keeping the standard MC as I have read this is a good combo.

I had a 600 fazer before this bike and compared to the blue spots on that the Kwak brakes dont have the same bite.

If anyone is interested ill report on the difference after I fit them.

lots of people have done this mod on the zx-9r forum, the 4 pots do seem better for day to day use but a good set of refreshed 6 pots will still always have more braking power tis just a pity they need so much work to keep them good.

Very same 6 pots are on the SRAD750s, most of us on here have done the 4 pot conversion.

Well worth it. Better feel, and to me more stopping power too. Plus they're lighter (slightly)

Very same 6 pots are on the SRAD750s, most of us on here have done the 4 pot conversion.

Well worth it. Better feel, and to me more stopping power too. Plus they're lighter (slightly)

Only slightly? The 6 pots could be used as a boat anchor!

Yep, I put them on my J1 (in the pinboard section) and I got them for £30 with brand new pads :icon_blackeye:

Brakes really are transformed now, good bite, solid lever, easily lift the rear wheel and no binding whatsoever .No matter how many times I cleaned/re-greased the 6pots they would bind.

To be fair though, I dont think there is a single 4 pot caliper to this day that is as good as the Yam blue-spots.

Andy

lots of people have done this mod on the zx-9r forum, the 4 pots do seem better for day to day use but a good set of refreshed 6 pots will still always have more braking power tis just a pity they need so much work to keep them good.

I did clean them up good after the winter but they soon loose there edge again, I ride daily in all weathers so I guess they get a hard life.

I do keep my bike clean in general but in the winter it gets ACF50 and is not cleaned until the salt is gone.

Personally, I'd put a mastercylinder off a bike with 4 pots on there, rather than keeping with the 6 pot master, but all in all, this is a huge improvement. Sheer braking power is similar, if not better, initial bite is much improved, feel is hugely better, and there's much less seizing going on. 6 pot brakes are a triumph in marketing over performance.

Yep done it on my J1, with EBC standard pads and a J1 M/C they initial bite and overall power aren't as good as when my 6 pots were sorted and with HH pads.

I'm currently setting up another set for track setup, this time with HH pads and a TL1000S M/C.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the calipers are on (I stripped cleaned and greased them) and to be honest I dont think they are any better than the 6 pots, I cant pick the back wheel up with 2 fingers but maybe I am expecting too much?

I will be fully servicing the 6 pots and putting them back on I think then selling the now serviced 4 pots back on eghey.

Well the calipers are on (I stripped cleaned and greased them) and to be honest I dont think they are any better than the 6 pots, I cant pick the back wheel up with 2 fingers but maybe I am expecting too much?

I will be fully servicing the 6 pots and putting them back on I think then selling the now serviced 4 pots back on eghey.

IME, 4 pots don't have the bite or power of the 6 pot tokicos, but they need far less maintenance.The 4 pots also generally give a much better feel at the lever than the 6 pots (although my 6 pots are spot-on, and feel is excellent) but the Tokico 4 pots aren't as good as the Nissins fitted to oil-cooled (i.e. proper) GSXRs .

Fitting the master cylinder from a TL or summat will probably make no difference - I believe they all use the same 5/8" Nissin Master cyl.

I spent an enjoyable couple of hours last night stripping and cleaning the Tok 4 pots on Jools' bike last night - there was waaaaay too much movement at the lever.

Will see how they are when I bleed them through after work tonight.

I suspect that much is down to pads then as I had a pair of 6 pots which I swapped for 4's and my thoughts were more or less directly opposite to yours and that the pots had very little in the way of bite and that you needed a really good squeeze to get a similar amount of braking out of them.

Really? Are you still using the master cylinder off the 6 pot set-up or something?

Yes still using the 5/8" MC I think a 14mm would give a bit more power but more lever travel.

my MC may need a service as the lever hits my 2 other fingers before it lifts the back wheel(on full reach adjustment).

I have bled and tied the lever in overnight and have braided hoses.

I had a feel (ooo er) of a k1 gsxr600 and a 2009 cbr600rr levers at work and they feel like they have the same amount of travel at the lever, I have not ridden them though so have no idea on power.

How much travel is normal before the bite on a front lever anyway?

OK, after bleeding the 4 pot Toks on Jools' bike, they feel excellent and have some proper bite now (EBC Pro-Lite discs and SBS pads)

I'll give it a caning to work on monday to properly test and then a quick rebleed when I get home - I always find there's a little bit of air somewhere that's easier to bleed out once you've been out and used the bike.

Now for the pain of stripping my 6 pots this week in preparation for a trip to the continent in two weeks.

I'm interested to hear how this goes my zx6r track bike has got the six pots which i rebuilt at great expense and its not something i want to do again, what bikes can you take the calipers from for this swap?

Stripped cleaned greased and rebuilt he 6 Pots put them back on and they are a lot better than the 4 Pots IMO.

good bite and lots of power, I have a good lever now with no excessive travel I renewed the fluid while I was at it..

Archived