K&N oil filters VS OEM

BUSABOY

Hi, my first post to the forum. Does anyone have any thoughts over replacing OEM oil filters with alternatives such as K & N? I have always used the OEM filters myself but I am considering using other brands. Any thoughts? probably covered somewhere else in the forum?

I've used the K&Ns, and wasent that impresseed. You can't use a socket in the built in nut, because the socket slips. And a winter on the hack 9 produced a very rusty filter. That dosen't happen with an OE filter.

The only benefit I can see is the drilled for lockwire bit. For a track bike, thats worth it. Anywhere else, not so much.

I've used the K&Ns, and wasent that impresseed. You can't use a socket in the built in nut, because the socket slips. And a winter on the hack 9 produced a very rusty filter. That dosen't happen with an OE filter.

The only benefit I can see is the drilled for lockwire bit. For a track bike, thats worth it. Anywhere else, not so much.

Does the K & N have any filtration benefits compared to the OE filter. Does it due a better job of removing the smaller particles? etc.

I'd stick with O.E.

You can always attach a rare earth (neodymium) magnet to the filter to trap any stray swarf particles.

I have heard some good things about K & N what makes the OE any better? Anyone out there, who uses K & N in preference to OE?

Does the K & N have any filtration benefits compared to the OE filter. Does it due a better job of removing the smaller particles? etc.

It's claimed too, but thats not something you can prove at home.

On balance, bearing in mind the price difference, I would go OE on anything but a dedicated track bike, or something I wanted racer lockwire chick on.

It's claimed too, but thats not something you can prove at home.

On balance, bearing in mind the price difference, I would go OE on anything but a dedicated track bike, or something I wanted racer lockwire chick on.

Looks as if I am stayng with OE unless anyone can 'prove' that there are any filter manufacturers who can deliver better performance than the one fitted to the bike when it left the factory! They all claim to exceed, the OE specification. Is this sales hype, quite possibly?

I've use champion filters from halfrauds, currently got a hiflo filter from wemoto. Did go through a couple of suzuki ones but they are expensive...

I change my oil fitler with each oil change, and I change my oil every 6 months or 4000-ish miles, so its frequent enough that I dont worry too much about filter performance so long as it actually filters...bit suspect of the wemoto-sourced item but we'll find out in a couple of weeks when I drop the oil again

Just picked this up from another forum owned by Tractor enthusiasts in the US:

Quote: 'Hey on the oil filters. The company I work for, Champion Labs makes most of the OEM filters. But They Also make MOST of the k&n oil filters. I don't know if they make them all. But I see them getting boxed up at work. So I know they make them. And by the size of the runs they do, it is a lot of them'.

I don't always believe all that I read, especially the marketring hype but if this is true which is better k&n oil filters or OEM ? :icon_bounce:

we had the option of using their oil and fuel filters but comparing them there wasnt a lot to be gained, the k&n ones are heavier and cost more its not like an air filter where you can wash it and use it again, so your paying all that extra money for a filter that by all accounts is made by another more generalised firm, probebly made to the same specifications but costs more weighs more and doesn't do anything better?????? oe all the way

we had the option of using their oil and fuel filters but comparing them there wasnt a lot to be gained, the k&n ones are heavier and cost more its not like an air filter where you can wash it and use it again, so your paying all that extra money for a filter that by all accounts is made by another more generalised firm, probebly made to the same specifications but costs more weighs more and doesn't do anything better?????? oe all the way

I can pick up the K & N for £7.50 each, cheaper than OE. Maybe its just peace of mind that I stick with the OE?? although there appears to be little evidence to suggest that motorcycle manufactures would deny a warranty claim based on the fact that you did not have an OE filter fitted?

I've use champion filters from halfrauds, currently got a hiflo filter from wemoto. Did go through a couple of suzuki ones but they are expensive...

I change my oil fitler with each oil change, and I change my oil every 6 months or 4000-ish miles, so its frequent enough that I dont worry too much about filter performance so long as it actually filters...bit suspect of the wemoto-sourced item but we'll find out in a couple of weeks when I drop the oil again

Hiflo is about the best known filter brand in the aftermarket -you'll have no worries.

I can pick up the K & N for £7.50 each, cheaper than OE. Maybe its just peace of mind that I stick with the OE?? although there appears to be little evidence to suggest that motorcycle manufactures would deny a warranty claim based on the fact that you did not have an OE filter fitted?

I imagine they would try, but there is EU anti-competition law to stop any of that. It simply has to be OE spec, or higher.

Hiflo is about the best known filter brand in the aftermarket -you'll have no worries.

I have ordered 2 HIFLO filters from WEMOTO, I will give these a try. Thanks for all your contributions. :P

Don't know about other bikes but the standard sump-plug on mine is magnetic. Is this an industry standard?

A lot of them are.

NBR but the sump plug on my Vauxhall SuperCorsaTM had a magnet. I removed the plug when changing the oil and the magnet just fell off. It was actually glued on but the oil and heat must've knackered the glue. Could've been interesting if the magnet had come off inside the sump and somehow made it's way into the oil pick-up tube :lol:

cool,. thats good to know :getmecoat: I do have a tendancy to worry about oil circulation and stuff. I understand its a pain in the arse to rebuild an engine...

HiFlo manufacture oil filters for K&N! Both claim to exceed OEM specification and both filters re made in Thailand! The filter paper used is identical too. Hiflo are cheaper than K&N so I know what I will be using.

http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx102/j...ent=HF123_2.jpg

The filter on the right is from K&N and the one on the left is from HIFiltro. Sorry to be so anal about filters but needed to see if I could post a picture to the forum and yes its an important topic. It gives peace of mind to know your using a quality filter. I am sure that others would agree that using good quality oil and changing this regularly is as important. Cheers

I told my PhD supervisor off for not changing the oil in her car any time during the last 18 months...

longlife VAG oil? (no rude meaning intended!)

as for K&N oil filters I use them on my GSXR as picked up a pile of them cheap while in the US ages ago.

Archived