SRAD front end into original SV650...

jaycee

Since I trashed my SRAD at the weekend, I've been having all sorts of thought about what to do with it. It's currently on a truck on the way to the assessors. Why they couldn't assess it at my house I don't know....

But anyway back to my random thoughts. I had thought of just buying it back when they write it off, fitting a track fairing, projector lights and then sorting the suspension...

This is all fine if the engine/gearbox aren't trashed though.

Another though I've had is to buy the biek back for as little as possible, buy an old trellis framed SV650/S and fit the front end from the SRAD with a decent shock and have a small, nimble light bike that makes sense at less than 120mph, is still fun but actually handles and stops.

Has anybody here ever done this? I know it was a popular conversion on SV650.org at one point years back.

Hmmm, pretty sure I have seen this converstion before. I think it used the srad yokes, but the steering stem from the SV was needed to be pressed in.

Good luck, I like the idea

From what I remember, although this might be sketchy, is that a complete SRAD front end would go straight onto the SV650, yokes, steering stem and all.

The main additional part you would need would be a top head bearing which can be gotten from the Twin Works Factory website

http://www.twfracing.com/images/zparts/ste...bearing_lg.jpeg

On putting the bearing in you may need to file a couple of grooves into the SV head so the bearing can be drifted back out if you need to replace it or return the SV to stock

http://www.twfracing.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=48

Also you may need clip ons from a TL1000 which would give the same rise as the standard SV ones.

The rear shock off a SRAD is longer than the SV one, which makes for quicker handling, but is pretty softly sprung. If you're 12 stone ish that shouldn't be a problem.

HTH!

Archived