Chain snapped and wrecked my R1 engine :-(

fzraudun

Well my seemingly OK 530 DID ZVM2 chain snapped (just as I were lifting the front wheel off the ground in 2. gear )at the joining link and made its way around the front sprocket rather violently....

4-5 teeth broke off the sprocket, the engine casing and cylinder block got cracked (mended this with JB weld :unsure: ) but a bigger problem has emerged. While thightening the chain again I noticed that the gear-axle which the front spocket is attached to has become a bit, well, oval. :shock:

It spins round a bit out of orbit so to speak. so the chain slack is not constant...

Now, can this be ridden with? (At least until winter)

And whats the best solution, do I need a new engine or could I be a bit of a cheapskate and just replace the gear axle and re-mend the casings with JB weld....?

Sorry if my english sucks, greetings from Norway! :icon_salut:

Oh, its a 2001 Yamaha R1 btw

So what you're saying is that your output shaft is bent?

I don't think that this is a consequence of your chain snapping, more likely the reason why the chain snapped in the first place.

Have you or someone else been running the chain really tight, because this would cause the shaft to bend. I'd sort it before fitting a new chain... it'll probably snap again if you don't.

Well my seemingly OK 530 DID ZVM2 chain snapped (just as I were lifting the front wheel off the ground in 2. gear )at the joining link and made its way around the front sprocket rather violently....

4-5 teeth broke off the sprocket, the engine casing and cylinder block got cracked (mended this with JB weld :unsure: ) but a bigger problem has emerged. While thightening the chain again I noticed that the gear-axle which the front spocket is attached to has become a bit, well, oval. :shock:

It spins round a bit out of orbit so to speak. so the chain slack is not constant...

Now, can this be ridden with? (At least until winter)

And whats the best solution, do I need a new engine or could I be a bit of a cheapskate and just replace the gear axle and re-mend the casings with JB weld....?

Sorry if my english sucks, greetings from Norway! :icon_salut:

Oh, its a 2001 Yamaha R1 btw

Sounds like the oval gear-axle is the possible reason for the chain snapping in the first place? So it would most probably just snap another chain and you would be in exactly the same situation again, but perhaps more damage.

A lot of people crimp the chain too tightly and don't check for tight spot's when fitting new chains. I've seen a few at my mates shop that have been DIY'd and my mate's had to cut the old chain off and put a new one on again. If the chain hop's over the tight spot or the link is too tight it can jump and the sudden snatch is often what causes the snap if timed correctly.

Age old thing, if it’s not making your bike lighter, faster etc it’s overlooked but a correctly setup chain can be the difference between a DNF or not.

Thanks for fast reply!

Ive just owned the bike this season, and checked the chain a couple of times, though it wasnt before I put the bike on a centerstand and spinned the wheel that I discovered that the chain slack wasnt constant. It would be fine until I spinned the wheel a bit and it would thighten then slacken.... Most likely I've overtightened the chain because I was unaware the of the bent output shaft making the slack uneven.

Thanks for fast reply!

Ive just owned the bike this season, and checked the chain a couple of times, though it wasnt before I put the bike on a centerstand and spinned the wheel that I discovered that the chain slack wasnt constant. It would be fine until I spinned the wheel a bit and it would thighten then slacken.... Most likely I've overtightened the chain because I was unaware the of the bent output shaft making the slack uneven.

There's always normally some element of chain tension that differs and will have a slight tight spot at some point during the wheels revolution but it's worth adjusting the change for it's tightest spot and if there's too much then look at fixing that otherwise you'll have a chain that's too slack at the sprocket's least oval point.

Hope you get it sorted chap. :)

Personally if the output shaft's bent then you'd better get that repaired before you ride it again. It's an R1 and can put out some power ... and it seems you like to raise the front wheel all of which is going to give the chain and the gearbox some problems.

I don't know if you take the output shaft out of the engine without splitting the cases or not so have a look in the manual. You might find it's just a case of a big circlip and then the bearing and shaft coming out and then replacing with new. The bearing is probably crushed too so replace that as well.

If the engine is a stressed member in the frame you might want to drop the engine and get the cracks welded, either way I would have some serious resevations about riding this bike

Well, I went out the started the R1 and it coughed up some oil from behind the sprocket. So the bearing is "gone", if i'm lucky then the output shafts not bent, just the bearings....

Anyways theres no easy fix to this.

Luckily owning an FZR 600 for 5 years taught me how to split a Yamaha engine :tacheemoticonwh7:

Archived