Which pads

lorenzo

Had my first ever major experience of brake fade today round Oulton. Levr back to the bar, bled them, and lever back again next session. I used up all my clicks on the lever too. So, first off, despite reading that on the net that Vesrah are OK, they're not, I've been left with a reddish tinge to the discs, they look mildly rusty, and more importantly, my previous 2 finger braking was reduced to 4 fingers and change of underwear. Not good.

Anyway, recommendations are either dunlop sport or EBC extreme. Anybody know where to get the dunlopads? I know I can get ebc's from the guy who posted a link on here the other day, but do they do extreme ones? Are extremes any good for an average road rider who's mid pack in the inters on trackdays? General brake chitchat would be appreciated, all going into SRAD 600 calipers, thanks.

Mate, if you have SRAD 600 brakes dump the master cylinder its poo.

Rebuilt mine with new everything only master cylinder body and caliper bodys remain (£250 in OEM suzuki parts well worth, minus master!)

Try later model radial master's.

The only pads I use these days are from these guys, www.performancefriction.com :P

Use to get Brembo at cost and Ferodo for free and happy to pay retail for these.

I warped my OEM discs and are now looking for good replacements, dont want mickey mouse wavey's and only reasonable option other than used OEM off egay are Harris own Brembo discs at £300 a pop, you been able to come across any others iin your travels?

Had my first ever major experience of brake fade today round Oulton. Levr back to the bar, bled them, and lever back again next session. I used up all my clicks on the lever too. So, first off, despite reading that on the net that Vesrah are OK, they're not, I've been left with a reddish tinge to the discs, they look mildly rusty, and more importantly, my previous 2 finger braking was reduced to 4 fingers and change of underwear. Not good.

Anyway, recommendations are either dunlop sport or EBC extreme. Anybody know where to get the dunlopads? I know I can get ebc's from the guy who posted a link on here the other day, but do they do extreme ones? Are extremes any good for an average road rider who's mid pack in the inters on trackdays? General brake chitchat would be appreciated, all going into SRAD 600 calipers, thanks.

SBS road racing sinters, fitted them on the R1 and they were awesome(probably saved from me much worse injury in my recent accident as well). Markieboy at glasgow tyres does them on trade pinboard, very reasonable for such a good set of pads. That's my tuppence worth.

Forgot to say, it's a k4 gsxr thou master cylinder on there too, with braided hoses.

i've upgraded my OEM pads on my R6 to SBS RS pads due to glazing. Even after roughening them up again, they glazed in a trackday. Used the SBS RS pads for a few trackdays now and so far they've been spot on. Feels like the same sort of stopping power just they're holding up to higher temps.

could be worth looking into?

Just fitted some of these

image0178.jpg

and have to say , very impressed , after the performance friction pads ( which were very good ) they have far more initial bite , but not at all grabby , it's taking a bit of mental re-calibration , the sport ones are almost the same compound as the race ones according to the geezer at the factory . I work fairly local so called in on the off-chance and got two sets at £verycompetitive ,heres where you can get them online http://www.racebrakes.co.uk/epages/es132803.sf

drop the front end out,and fit a k4,brembo sr pads,and semco superbike disks,when i say 1 finger braking i mean it ,and a full day of threashing it a round and no leaver slack.

OK, just ordered some DP sport pads, was chatting to the bloke in the shop about my braking conundrum, and he mentioned that he'd got some Motul race fluid (as opposed to their normal 5.1 I was using before) that he'd never even nearly sold in the 6 months it's been sat there, so he gave me the bottle free! As soon as the pads arrive in stock I'll give everybody a full rundown on difference standard 5.1 fluid and vesrah rads makes in comparison to DP sports and race fluid. Hopefully it'll cope with having to stop a 14 stone lardvark and an old srad. Next stop: finding out exactly what master cylnider I've got so I can get a rebuild kit for it.

Lorenzo, that braking set-up you sold me, are they Bandit 1200 calipers? What was the master cylinder from? A guy the other week reckoned its from a Kawsaki.

I need new pads and I'd like to rebuild the master cylinder. (or I could leave that to Wutang when I pass them on to him after Cadwell)

Lorenzo, that braking set-up you sold me, are they Bandit 1200 calipers? What was the master cylinder from? A guy the other week reckoned its from a Kawsaki.

I need new pads and I'd like to rebuild the master cylinder. (or I could leave that to Wutang when I pass them on to him after Cadwell)

Can't remember what the calipers are off, but they're the same as loads of things: early Bandit 12's, gsxr 11's and 750's of the same era, late RGV's too I think. The master's off a kwak, he's right, it's from a zx6r, the last model before they went radial, which I think was about '06. It's a fairly new m/c anyway, I made sure of that so I didn't need to rebuild it as I guessed a newish one would be in decent nick anyway. If you want to keep it all gsxr, I could do you a swap for mine, which is off a gsxr thou, again pre-radial, although to be honest, I preferred the kwak one you've now got.

Either way, why are you getting rid? I thought you were pretty impressed with that set-up? I know I was. It's all personal preference I suppose, but I preferred those calipers and m/c to the srad 600 calipers and gsxr thou system I've got at the moment. The twin pin nissin calipers you've got are definately better built than the single tokicos that they were replaced with that sometimes clonk a bit as I come off the brakes. These strike me as being tokicos take on the nissins, but on a budget.

Can't remember what the calipers are off, but they're the same as loads of things: early Bandit 12's, gsxr 11's and 750's of the same era, late RGV's too I think. The master's off a kwak, he's right, it's from a zx6r, the last model before they went radial, which I think was about '06. It's a fairly new m/c anyway, I made sure of that so I didn't need to rebuild it as I guessed a newish one would be in decent nick anyway. If you want to keep it all gsxr, I could do you a swap for mine, which is off a gsxr thou, again pre-radial, although to be honest, I preferred the kwak one you've now got.

Either way, why are you getting rid? I thought you were pretty impressed with that set-up? I know I was. It's all personal preference I suppose, but I preferred those calipers and m/c to the srad 600 calipers and gsxr thou system I've got at the moment. The twin pin nissin calipers you've got are definately better built than the single tokicos that they were replaced with that sometimes clonk a bit as I come off the brakes. These strike me as being tokicos take on the nissins, but on a budget.

I am impressed with the brakes, but Wutang asked if he could have first dibs on them if I ever sold the SRAD.

This is going to happen after Cadwell for a few reasons. I have discovered how to ride a sports bike ( ride it like you stole it and they're after you) and as such I am either going to get myself very dead or very arrested.

So my thinking is, if you recall a thread of mine from a while back, I should should take a few steps back down the ladder, buy something much slower and/or more interesting. Perhaps its my age and buying Classic Bike too often, but I fancy a 70's BMW, Guzzi or Triumph.

Feel free to slag me off.

In the meantime, I am going to service tha calipers, replace the pads and discs and ride the crap out of it.

It all becomes clear...

Not only clear about getting rid of the bike, but also, it's clear you need to do a trackday or two more than you have been. I'm currently suffering withdrawal symptoms.

The master's off a kwak, he's right, it's from a zx6r, the last model before they went radial, which I think was about '06.

Its going to be an earlier one than that - my '05 ZX6R had radial brakes, so did the '04 according to this

http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/ZX-6R (look at the "previous models" tab)

It may've been an '04, which although it had radial calipers, was still on an axial master cylinder. Either way, last zx6r with an 'normal' master cylinder.

Only Brembo for me.

I've said it before...Brembo are made by Ferodo, so you can have the same thing and pay less from Ferodo.

Strange that, used to get Brembo at cost and Ferodo for free both from each source, used both in the same Brembo calipers and they were different to use with diferent feelings even though they were meant to be around the same spec.

Maybe they do make them but to different specs for each brand.

Still say Performance Friction Brakes gear is the best and happy to pay retail!

Strange that, used to get Brembo at cost and Ferodo for free both from each source, used both in the same Brembo calipers and they were different to use with diferent feelings even though they were meant to be around the same spec.

Maybe they do make them but to different specs for each brand.

Still say Performance Friction Brakes gear is the best and happy to pay retail!

I'm not sure on how they compare in terms of cross reference on models (CP911 and so on), but apart from the red backing, they are the same down to material spec.

Fitted a new set of Dunlopad sports this afternoon, cleaned the calipers and pistons up, a smudge of rubber grease here, a bit of copper grease there, and then a flush through with some posh Motul 600 brake fluid. Considering I've only taken them out for about 5 miles they feel lovely, 2 finger braking is restored, enough initial bite to know about it without spitting you off in the wet. The real test will be at Cadwell on the 23rd. Roll on 3 weeks time...

• 7 months later...

Zombie thread!

Still happy with the DPHH+ pads Lorenzo?

I've just located these on gheybay for £10/set. Hopefully they are as advertised - if so then I am a happy bunny! Now what can I spend the £60 saving on?! :icon_blackeye:

Zombie thread!

Still happy with the DPHH+ pads Lorenzo?

I've just located these on gheybay for £10/set. Hopefully they are as advertised - if so then I am a happy bunny! Now what can I spend the £60 saving on?! :mellow:

Still got 'em in the R1 and will put the same in next time :)

I've taken a punt on some SBS, since they're half the price of the Brembo equivalent, and it's only just dawned on me that I'm heavy on the brakes when pushing on. Fitting them Thursday.

I've taken a punt on some SBS, since they're half the price of the Brembo equivalent, and it's only just dawned on me that I'm heavy on the brakes when pushing on. Fitting them Thursday.

That's what I've been using on the 10R and R1, top stoppers. Probably saved my life when I smashed the old R1 into the oncoming fiesta fusion...

Archived