TZR250 1KT

Tom Mac

Saw this on eBay the other day, Picture wasn’t great but the Buy-It-Now price was reasonable so I thought I’d have a gamble on it.

As it was on eBay:

TZRonebay.jpg

The Bike had been slid down the road on the left hand side and the seller had lost interest in fixing. I went to collect it expecting a half built bike that would make a nice project.

However I got to the seller’s house and was shocked when he uncovered the TZR. Firstly it was one of the genuine Marlboro 2AW models, secondly the mileage (kilometerage?) was very low and thirdly the condition of the bike. Apart from the crash damage it was very clean and hardly any corrosion at all. It was even MOTed and Taxed and the engine sounds sweet!

So I got it back to mine and immediately set about repairing the cracks in the top fairing and then replacing the smashed hand blisters (new genuine yam ones were included with the bike). With that done it was time for a few (bad) pictures. I really need to get a better camera. Anyway:

Pretty much as bought:

TZR250250710pic1.jpg

TZR250250710pic2.jpg

Note the mileage

TZR250250710pic3.jpg

The damage:

TZR250250710pic4.jpg

TZR250250710pic5.jpg

Removal of unwanted stickers:

TZR250250710pic6.jpg

And a final one:

TZR250250710pic7.jpg

I’ll be picking up an indicator and a pair of Jap spec mirrors next weekend and a few other bits that it needs and then taking it for a spin.

nice find Tom, so what was the reasonable BIN price? ive got a soft spot for the TZR

Not wishing to sound like a parade-rainer, but is that a colossal ding in the left frame rail? Or does it just look that way in the pic? 5th pic down

looks like a reflection of the fairing anf choke lever too me... i know whatyou mean though.

Romps, its mainly just a reflection off the choke lever bracket. there is a slight depression in the frame there but its a common thing on early TZRs that have been dropped as the fairing bracket/choke lever bracket is a tube and pushes the frame in. The design was changed on later TZRs.

Kooki, lets just say it was the "right" price :icon_salut:

Romps, its mainly just a reflection off the choke lever bracket. there is a slight depression in the frame there but its a common thing on early TZRs that have been dropped as the fairing bracket/choke lever bracket is a tube and pushes the frame in. The design was changed on later TZRs.

Kooki, lets just say it was the "right" price :)

*phew!*

Glad to hear it :o - now looking forward to a colossal building thread :icon_salut:

Nice find. What are your plans for it? I understand folks that like to restore bikes, but I always look at them & think 'That'd look great with decent pipes' etc!

:D

Plans? errr... not really sure at the moment. I did want to make it into a trackday bike but now that i've started to clean it it up I'm not so sure. I've got a few spares so it might be as easy just to build a trackday one from parts and keep this one standard.

...just to build a trackday one from parts...

Might there be a frame for sale in that pile of parts? :huh::)

Might there be a frame for sale in that pile of parts? :eusa_think::)

Sorry, nope. have stuck an ebay link to one thats been on there for ages and has a start price of £50. might be worth a cheeky offer.

the results of this evening's spanner wielding

Mirrors fitted:

tzr250020710pic1.jpg

Indicator, clip-on, switchgear and clutch lever assembly all replaced (with second hand stuff):

tzr250020710pic2.jpg

The front end is twisted ever so slightly to the right so that's on the list of things to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet, reminds me of my old blue one.........

The front end is twisted ever so slightly to the right so that's on the list of things to do.

This happened to me over several TZR's when growing up .. without interweb or much cash ...

used to rotate fork tube in yokes or slacken all off straighten and tighten ... always worked

Archived