Spark plug stripped

gregtrx

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone to fit a helicoil to a stripped out spark plug hole? Or is it something any old mechanic should be able to do. I don't really want to have to pay to have the head taken off.

I'm losing patience with this bike.

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone to fit a helicoil to a stripped out spark plug hole? Or is it something any old mechanic should be able to do. I don't really want to have to pay to have the head taken off.

I'm losing patience with this bike.

In that case you'll need to remove the headd yourself or dump loads of swarf on the piston....

use a time insert, use to use them on the drag scooter and it run 20:1 compresion,i think they could do it with the head on?

Don't suppose you know anyone locally who can do them sie? Timesert's look better than helicoils, I've had some wind out on other things, and I know well enough that I'd make a mess of it myself. I don't really give a toss about a little swarf in the motor, it's due an oil change anyway.

look throuhg you r local yellow pages for enginering firms,that do moter repaires,as they can give you a good idea of wot it will cost and if they can do it with the head on,you can have anither way to do it,we also used the type that are like a helicoil but are in fact a proper solid threded in sert,that you tape and then thred in once in you tap the top of the inset tool,and it forces down 4 pins to lock the thred,not used them on a bike but thet realy do hold fast and we have never had a problem with them at work,ill get you the name of them.

i mullered the plug thead on a rotax head once - took the plug out and the thread came with it. doh.

helicoil isnt the ideal solution really, on a rotax the fireface end of the plug hole 'hugs' the end of the plug so no thread shows. the o/s helicoil tap mullers all this away, and the end of the helicoil wire sits out on it's own glowing red hot - det city.

if you are not that bothered, then there is a way of helicoiling without removing the head

- grease up the tap so the crap sticks to the tap and hopefully doesnt fall in.

- have an assistant with an airline blow air through one of the open valves - make sure the other one is shut! this might help blow any errant bits of swarf back up the plug hole and get stuck on the grease.

i mullered the plug thead on a rotax head once - took the plug out and the thread came with it. doh.

helicoil isnt the ideal solution really, on a rotax the fireface end of the plug hole 'hugs' the end of the plug so no thread shows. the o/s helicoil tap mullers all this away, and the end of the helicoil wire sits out on it's own glowing red hot - det city.

if you are not that bothered, then there is a way of helicoiling without removing the head

- have an assistant with an airline blow air through one of the open valves - make sure the other one is shut! this might help blow any errant bits of swarf back up the plug hole and get stuck on the grease.

Sounds foolproof! :-s

That's exactly how a bloke did it to one of my bikes. Worked a treat. No problems.

A little locktite has held, I forgot I put it on just when out and it's all good, doesn't fly out on the compression of the kickstart any more. Bike still won't start. Will accept offers, £200 should be fair for all the bits.

Archived