My Pan...

fran9r

My pan: http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19403 -but briefly a 99 ST1100 bought without history, has recently (following an oil change, alternator removal and a new cambelt) barked into life. But, that was acopmpanied by a ploom of smoke.

I have no history, but I have seem some oily crap in the collectors. My question is, is the oil/crap being pumped out by the motor, or is it a collection of normal soot, which has collected due to rusted pipes and being left outside for a while? I've checked the plugs, and they seem ok -surely if there was oil in the exhaust post, it would dirty a plug -1 or 2 more than the rest?

I've ran it for a few minuites, but don't want to push it with the neighbours...although the V-4 does sound mint without silencers!

Perhaps I should take the pipes off (a mamoth task) and try burning all the crap out of the collectors myself?

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for those old Pans (don't tell anyone!) but they do seem to rust for a hobby.

TBH if there is any way you can avoid taking the headers off then I'd leave them well alone! They can be an absolute knightmare, and there is a good chance you might uncover some other horrors you'd rather not know about :D

If the bike runs ok and you got it cheap enough why not use it for a bit and keep an eye on the oil level? If it burns the oil out of the exhaust and stops smoking problem solved, if not you'll be in the same situation as now.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for those old Pans (don't tell anyone!) but they do seem to rust for a hobby.

TBH if there is any way you can avoid taking the headers off then I'd leave them well alone! They can be an absolute knightmare, and there is a good chance you might uncover some other horrors you'd rather not know about :thumbsup:

If the bike runs ok and you got it cheap enough why not use it for a bit and keep an eye on the oil level? If it burns the oil out of the exhaust and stops smoking problem solved, if not you'll be in the same situation as now.

It leaves a trotter style smoke screen everywhere, thats why! I thought painting it yellow would be nearly as much work, so I decided to sort it -I wrestled the engine out, then stripped and painted the frame over the weekend.

A leakdown test has shown the top end as a problem, so the heads will have to come off. Any info on what to expect/avoid would be greatly appreciated.

I'm under no illusions the Pan sweats like a fat lass dancing, but I'm going to be using it exclusively for distance work and camping trips, not pretending to be a WSB refugee. I've got other stuff for that.

Archived