Indicator quick flashing kwestion

Annaz

I fitted a clear LED tail light with integral winkers using the correct resistors that came with the item. It looks fine and cleans up the look of my rear nicely :rolleyes:

The front didn't have any winkers so obviously the rear one flashed like a b-stard. I plugged some spare SRAD winks in to test and the slowed down to the right speed.

My idea was to fit some orange indicator bulbs inside the front headlight unit using some R1 sidelight pieces or side repeaters off a car. I chose the latter due to the lack of R1 bits available.

So the big Srad bulbs are 21W and work fine, the side repeater bulbs are 5W and flash like a bastard.

Pressumably it's the lack of power demand on the 5W bulbs that's causing the problem and I've tried fitting an inline resistor and that does f-all. I don't think anyone makes 21W capless bulbs?

So what are my options? Do I have to change for a metal bayonet type bulb? or can I fit a different flasher unit, or is there an orange capless bulb available with a higher wattage?

(I do quite like the fast flashing but the MOT probably wouldn't)

The easiest option is a new flasher unit. Takes 5 mins to fit (providing access is easy enough) and will work no matter what bulbs you have.

The easiest option is a new flasher unit. Takes 5 mins to fit (providing access is easy enough) and will work no matter what bulbs you have.

I must admit I don't know much about flasher units. Are there different types that will work off different power outputs then?

I've never really looked into the details of them, I've just always bought one for LED's and they've always worked first time. I suspect there's something fundamentally different about them to your normal sort that works off bulbs as they don't click like a normal flasher does. Either way, just buy one with the right fitting for your make of bike, make sure the plug looks right in comparison to what you've got, then fit it. It really is that simple. I've never even bothered with the resistors either, they're more trouble than they're worth. They never slow the flash rate down especially well and then, about 6 months later, the wire into the resistor will snap away from the resistor itself leaving with no indicators. Just stick the LED's on there, then stick the new flasher on, then ride. It's as simple as can be.

Editted fur ribbush spollung

Cheers for that it's now sorted easy as pie, like apple etc :rolleyes:

All I need to do now is fix the leak I've developed in my fuel tank. Spondon tanks are ally and have a weak spot where the rear mount is. Quite embarrassing as I was at the VJMC show at Lotherton hall and someone said,'Looks like you've got a petrol leak there.' There were about 6 people stood round the bike at the time so I felt a right twat, but not as much as a guy next to me who set off on his trick rexxer 1100 and promptly fell off.

I'm off to get the araldite out then!

Cheers again

Archived