gsxr thou link pipe querie

lorenzo

I know that on one year of link pipe there's a 4 bolt flange where the can meets, and on the later years it's a simple slip on, does anybody know the change over years? Also, what diameter is the pipe on the slip-on and will the earlier headers mate up OK with the later link?

Also, the link pipe has a valve in there, suzukis equiv of an exup. How would I go about removing this and blanking it off? Is it straight forward to do?

Mulling over some exhaust options at the moment, maybe get something nice and light for the mighty srad.

K3/4 was bolt on flange. K5/6 had slip ons. I can measure my K5 later for you. Headers on K4 may not work with any of the K5 zorst as the headers are welded to the linkpipe to the back of the lowers IYKWIM?

Link pipe does not have the valve in it, the can snout does, just where it joins the headers after the collectors.

If you need pics, I can do this tonight for you.

Hmm, I see. Any photos, diagrams, cakes or other parafinalia would be useful, seems I'm going to need to do some more in depth research.

a mate put K-series (the titanium 1000 ones pre-K5) downpipes on his SRAD. we then found out that a aftermarket (CCC) link pipe for a K5 1000 fitted so he was then able to use a generic slip-on can

If you want me to measure my K5, tell me EXACTLY what you need.

I suspect I won't be needing any more measurements, I've just had a bit of a sneaky bid on a full system, and would you adam and eve it, I've got the lot for £68 delivered! I'm on the lookout for a cheap end can at some point, or I might try to sort something out with what I've got at this end. I also need to work out how to get the exhaust valve out of the way unless it's fully open as its default position. I'll cross that bridge when the parcel turns up.

I also need to work out how to get the exhaust valve out of the way unless it's fully open as its default position. I'll cross that bridge when the parcel turns up.

It is fully open, but the flap is in the can, not the link pipe. So unless you reuse the can, you'll be fine.

Hmm OK. So what's the gubbins that's on the side of the link pipe in the advert then? Or maybe that's a difference between the k3 and the k5?

K3 has the valve in the link pipe and it's open by default. O the K5 the standard can and link pipe are all one, with the valve fitted to that.

They are all interchangeable, from k1 to K6

And you've a spare can off a k3 for me to, a really nice one, that I can have for about £7.40? No? Humph, you're a let down Mr Trigger, you really are...

Let me know when your pipe turns up, would like to know how the whole K3 system lines up on the SRAD as looking at a full race pipe from a K3 for my SRAD as well. Not extactley sure why folk use the K5 link pipe instead swinging arm clearance?

There is a nice Akro k5 can and link pipe on egay at the moment, tempting to do it with stock k1 headers but the full system is just to shiney!

I thimk people use the k5 link just because it's not got the valve thing and it's a slip-on on a 4 bolt flange. I'll have a weigh of the titanium when it turns up, I bet it's lighter than a stainless race system for an srad itself.

And you've a spare can off a k3 for me to, a really nice one, that I can have for about £7.40? No? Humph, you're a let down Mr Trigger, you really are...

It just so happens ........ but £7.40 ? Keep walking Mr ... ;)

Just another question, It would seem all round the globe desperate SRAD owners do fit K1-K5 headers as a start for there full systems.

What I would like to know is do the later K6-K9 fit as well. Looking at them I do realise they have longer headers that curve were the SRAD Belly pan my be, but at the moment they are cheaper on egay than the ealier K1-K5. And have noticed they have the valves built in but I can get these cut out. Do they bash the sump's? Are the exhaust ports in a different place?

Any answers greatfull before I blow my wod on a full K5 akro!

Cheers

Just another question, It would seem all round the globe desperate SRAD owners do fit K1-K5 headers as a start for there full systems.

What I would like to know is do the later K6-K9 fit as well.

K6 definately, as it is the same as the K5 apart from paint.

Think I have come to a good solution.

Was about to buy a full Akro K5 thou system as had no exhaust valve, then along came some nearly free headers and whilst looking for link pipes came across "Danmoto" pipes on the bay.

Just spent the last hour reading about the gear on Google and its all good for quality and feed back, jesus the whole system is is £50 inc link pipe, £30 postage from China within 7-10days! (please dont Asian bash for quality, I lived and worked there for over 7 years and witnessed manufacturing of bike parts for companys that you wouldnt believe!)

Got a feeling it maybe a little fruity to the ears most owners put it at yoshi levels but just for the link pipe is worth it!

Archived