Spark Plug change - how long.....

Guest bikertiger

Guest bikertiger

Quoted 3 / 4 hours to change the spark plugs on the 06/07 zx10

And that's from an official Kawasaki dealership, where I assumed there'd be a 'quick way'

They said - All newer thousands take that long??.....

Is this true.

If it is, I'll except the service costs and just lump it I guess

I hope you mean three-quarters of an hour and not 3 to 4 hours??

I would say three-quarters is quite quick myself by the time you get bodywork/possible airbox etc out of the way.

3 to 4 hours is a pisstake!

Andy

Guest bikertiger
I hope you mean three-quarters of an hour and not 3 to 4 hours??

I would say three-quarters is quite quick myself by the time you get bodywork/possible airbox etc out of the way.

3 to 4 hours is a pisstake!

Andy

Yeah 3hours to 4hours

I hear that changing the plugs is a bit of a pain, as you may need to 'tilt' the engine....whatever that means

Surely thats quite a major flaw making a simple serving's part a nightmare to get to??

Yeah 3hours to 4hours

I hear that changing the plugs is a bit of a pain, as you may need to 'tilt' the engine....whatever that means

Surely thats quite a major flaw making a simple serving's part a nightmare to get to??

Not a flaw for Kawasaki though? That way they make more money on service labour costs to people who will only go to main dealers for work. To be fair though 3-4 hours is taking the piss, IIRC there are no electrics running over the top of the airbox on that model (a la Honda) so it shouldnt be that difficult at all, and the tank is a piece of piss to take off.

Is it not possible to get to them from the front? i.e. side panels off, tilt the bottom of the radiator forward? Can't think of the set up off the top of my head... depends on the angle of the motor I guess.

It'll take most of a day to change the plugs on a 04-07 cbr1000rr, and it's impossible to do the first time without ringing an airbox screw...

-John

Do it yourself!

Thanks Josh, now I've got to change his fucking spark plugs now...

My 'old school' ZX6R plugs are a bit of a pain for the outer ones as the frame is in the way, you have to use a combo of extensions and build them up in the plug hole.

Still doesnt take 3-4 hrs tho!! more like 1/2 hr I recon.

Nope...the spark gradually erodes the electrodes over time. Plus combustion by-products build up.

New plugs do make a noticeable difference (my blade has had them changed.....I could notice it straight away)

How long had they been in there? To my knowledge, mine have been in there for 11,000 miles on my RR6 Blade. They were checked at 8000 and given a clean bill of health. I suppose they'll get changed at 12,000.

What about iridium plugs? are they more durable?

I`d be surprised if they weren`t iridium or platinum plugs anyway to be honest. Spark plugs do indeed lead a very fucking hard life, and any erosion of the electrode will have an impact on performance and economy.

So we're recommending a change of spark plugs then? Mine have done at least 12,000 miles.

Get `em changed you tight fucker!!

;)

If its a zx10 c model(side silencer)then i reckon about 2 to 3 hours-they ARE a bugger to do as the coil sticks to 1 and 4 cannot be removed without first removing the front engine mount braces(which also happen to be a bugger to remove)make sure when the coil sticks are removed they're lightly greased before re-installing as they have a habit of corroding and swelling up in the spark plug tunnels.The electrodes can and do last longer but with new plugs there is a noticeable difference-i would do it more for the greasing of the coilsticks.If its a d model its ever so slightly easier if memory serves me correct as its possible to ease the sticks out(although risky as its very tight in there)without removing the bracing--i'm not 100% on this though.

Just to add-yes they're iridium plugs which arent cheap either

Don't be a lazy Bob do it yourself, buy a manual and have a tinker, become intimate with your machine and read 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance' whilst listening to Hawkwind.

It'll give you a chance to check some other bits out too and have a bit of a clean and a lube, but back to the bike :eusa_dance: air filter, cable checks etc, it'll save you £'s and a garage might find some shit that don't need doing.

As for performance, it's been said already that you'll notice a big difference and you'll get the chance to see if your fuel/air mix is good.

The worst that can happen is you end up with a pile of bits to sell on the bay for twice what the bike is worth, don't be scared of da spanners man :rolleyes:

New spark plugs do make a difference, i used to change mine around every 2-3 months, and there was a definite improvement, the bike would be a bit smoother at idle, and would accelerate a bit harder as well.

I'm suprised it takes that long to change them, I managed to get a full plug change down to about 20 mins on the gsxr, including removing the airbox and tank etc.

Guest bikertiger

Found somewhere that quoted two hours labour. £60

Then the plugs a tenner each! A tenner ha ha

Right. So where's Rossendale??.... :wtfmore:

I had my ZX10R D7F serviced yesterday at a Kawasaki main dealer, 7,500 mile service so plugs were changed. I dropped it off and 9am and picked it up at 2pm, he had the plugs there to show me, there'd been a slight misfire at low revs, I believe the 10 is hard on plugs for some reason. I got charged 2.5 hours labour for the service, which involved changing the oil, oil filter, plugs, and the chain was tightened and lubed.

a tenner?! per plug?! thats quite steep!

GSXRrenegade, my dad finds his GSXR750 K6 very easy to work on - theres loads of room in there once the air box is out of the way. Far easier to do spark plug changes on that than my SV (we've found it easier to drop the coolant and take the rad off to get to the front cylinder, not a bad thing because it means coolant changes are very frequant but still a pain in the arse)

I paid nearly 11 quid a plug on my Fireblade, they were iridium........ Thankfully only paid for the plug, not the fitting.

Found somewhere that quoted two hours labour. £60

Then the plugs a tenner each! A tenner ha ha

Right. So where's Rossendale??.... :)

Slacker :icon_blackeye:

There's obviously no rescession in your neck of the woods :eusa_whistle:

I would be very suspicious of a place saying they could do all the service requirements in 2 1/2 hours on a 7,500 mile service!!they give you a customer satisfaction form all filled out with what they had specifically done to your bike Doug?a slight misfire at that mileage is also out of the ordinary-you sure them throttle bodies are balanced as per schedule?

I've got the job sheet, the only things that aren't visual inspections at 7,500 are:

Oil and filter - replace

Spark plugs - replace

Throttle bodies - inspect/adjust

Clutch operation - inspect/adjust

Drive chain and guide - inspect/lubricate/adjust.

The rest is stuff like, check steering damper for oil leaks, check brake lines, pad depth, etc.

On the way home the throttle felt balanced, the misfire/fluffiness at low revs had gone and the bike felt much better. He showed me the old plugs and they didn't look great, I used to get 20,000 miles out of Iridiums on my 4XV R1.

I'm sure I could service the bike to that spec in 2.5 hours, most of it is removing panels and the air filter box, I've fitted Ivan's block-off plates so I know how much has to come out to reach the plugs. I thought the stamp in the book at such a low mileage was worth paying the extra for.

It's about £40 for a full set of standard plugs for the NC, can change mine in about 30 mins.

I wouldn't bother putting it in the garage for the price they'll run you, learn to do it yourself.

You'll feel great once you've done it yourself and you might be tempted to carry out other services on your bike, save youself some serious dosh too.

Guess that answers my question of wiggling coilstick 1 and 4 out then?as factory says remove bellypan,middle panel,infill panel,various electrical connectors(awkward ones like immobilizer amplifier,coolant reservoir,fairing brackets and two engine mounts per side(also very awkward to access)plus checks for unexpected things like a proper service should.Kawasakis if used in all weathers also need the calipers cleaned well and anti seize greased.

Guest bikertiger
I had my ZX10R D7F serviced yesterday at a Kawasaki main dealer, 7,500 mile service so plugs were changed. I dropped it off and 9am and picked it up at 2pm, he had the plugs there to show me, there'd been a slight misfire at low revs, I believe the 10 is hard on plugs for some reason. I got charged 2.5 hours labour for the service, which involved changing the oil, oil filter, plugs, and the chain was tightened and lubed.

If you don't mind me asking. How much did you get charged?

Fackin' hell. This is why I'll never buy a modern bike. Plugs take 30 seconds on the GS. :eusa_think:

The 7R, fuel tank removed, airbox gone, all took around 40 minutes.

The TRX takes about 15 minutes but it'd take longer if it had a fairing on, probably nearer 20 minutes :P

Try one of these-

mz250_01.jpg

If you don't mind me asking. How much did you get charged?

£165.83, which I thought was quite reasonable when you consider the price of the parts.

Archived