Bench tops - Metal sheet

originalracingsnake

I'm going to be building a new workbench soon, and need to top it with sheet metal. Would you suggest aluminium, stainless steel or something else? I'm looking for hardwearing, spill proof, hammer resistant qualities and must not be SO thick that I cant hammer the edge over to protect the bench IYSWIM?

Would prefer NOT to have to cut it, so if the sheet can be bought about 600mm deep by 1-1.5m long, ideal.

What would you use?

I would use stainless steel and get it banged out to size on a punch press at work.

You should be able to buy it to size but itll probably cost more than a standard sheet tbh.

there are a lot of steel stockholders who would be prepared to cut and deliver the sheet material to you there may even be some who would be willing to bend the edge aswell which would make it more uniform and stop it fom lifting as you hammer it round. i would check the yellow pages and go stainless as it wont go rusty either.

Your dimensions (1.5m x 600mm) sound like kitchen worktop to me. How about the topping-off your bench with the cheapest melamine-coated worktop you can find in the DIY shop, and get a kitchen supplier who does school/hospital/commercial kitchens to supply a sheet of stainless with the 90-degree fold already in place?

Just a thought.

Eddy

I'd use two sniks of Plywood as a base then the metal sheet over it. It might be a good idea to get some loose rubber mats so bigger metal things don't slide about

I'd use two sniks of Plywood as a base then the metal sheet over it. It might be a good idea to get some loose rubber mats so bigger metal things don't slide about

Was going to do just that. A big sheet of particle board as the base, then a sheet of ply glued to that, and topped off with the metal sheet. Just need to find a supplier who can cut/bend the sheet now. Anyone know of anyone in the Stroud/Glos area?

I've bought steel cut to size for a worktop -although mild steel, it has a variety of fluids spilt over it and isn't rusting. It's fookin hard stuff though, it's 8 or 10mm plate and caused a bit of drill sharpening to get the vice mounted.

Have a look for commercial coach building suppliers or coach builders.

They use 18mm ply faced with 2mm aluminium sheet on one side, and white melamine or plastic sheet on the reverse.

I used to work for a bespoke horse transporter builders and we used this stuff to form the sides of the vehicle. I have a 30" x 20" offcut that I use loose on my workbench for engine building duties.

Was going to do just that. A big sheet of particle board as the base, then a sheet of ply glued to that, and topped off with the metal sheet. Just need to find a supplier who can cut/bend the sheet now. Anyone know of anyone in the Stroud/Glos area?

If you haven't got it yet then try to find "Medite" it's a denser version of MDF so it should take a woodscew.

Leyland SDM stock sheet material try them ... or maybe travis perkins

Imho I have had this.....

P1011568.jpg

for 5 years and as just plain kitchen cupboard and work top it's been brill..

It's taken everything I've thrown at it inc a 2lb lump hammer at full pelt (You may be able to see slight dent near the file handle) and the best bit it was free!!

I did a bit of mild research into this, a place off ebay quoted me £65 for a 3mm thick stainless sheet. I then looked into galvanised sheet and it's way cheaper. I'm still umming and aahing about what to do.

i have galv over plywood bench top and its been great ,no dramas at all , because its supported under neath bye the plywood you wont be able hammer a hole in it , very thin and easy to hammer over the edge

Get some nice stainless, looks propper and will last, end of.

It even posseses anti-bacterial properties, eat your lunch off it.

Alluminium with develop gouges and its still pricy, won't like too much heat going onto it, whereas the stainless is a safe bet for some light torch action. The oxide coating will also rub off unless its coated or anodised, but will return on its own, can leave a residue.

Galvanised may be cheap, but the zinc coating (and slight alloying beneath) will eventually work through and begin to rust, unless your willing to give it a paint every once in a while. If you burn off that galvo with heat, the fumes are quite nasty, also if you do any grinding and knick the bench, thats your galvo off.

If you are doing more welding, some heavier (thicker) steel may be the best.

Failing all of the above, wood is still good.

I can't talk though, my makeshift bench is topped with card, because i'm poor :icon_blackeye:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a sheetie/fabbie by trade, A 2mm sheet of stainless will do what you want if your placing it on an already solid surface, Galvanised sheets are cheaper but they will eventually rust along the edges of their own accord if in a damp enviroment and it's possible to scratch the galvo off them causing the scratches to rust, so i'd go stainless out of preference but at a higher price.

Galvanised is still okay, but won't have the nice clean lifespan of stainless.

Edit:- I wish me mam would log off..... Conica here.

I'm a sheetie/fabbie by trade, A 2mm sheet of stainless will do what you want if your placing it on an already solid surface, Galvanised sheets are cheaper but they will eventually rust along the edges of their own accord if in a damp enviroment and it's possible to scratch the galvo off them causing the scratches to rust, so i'd go stainless out of preference but at a higher price.

Galvanised is still okay, but won't have the nice clean lifespan of stainless.

Brilliant.

Will the s/s sheet be fine for welding on? If I was to weld small pieces I'd normally earth onto a steel sheet on the bench. Assume I could earth onto the s/s top just as well?

Not sure welding on a galv sheet is a good idea though, nasty fumes.....

Aye, On a galvo sheet you'll start burning the zinc off wherever you earth or apply too much heat too,

Whereas, with a SS you can weld on it as-if it was MS with no problems :lol:

my dad just gave me a stainless steel work top used to be part of an industrial kitchen.

Can he get me one then?

:wacko:

Archived