Battery not charging, but the bike'll run ok

Kayla

I'm a bit puzzled by this.

My bike refused to start after having done a spot of food shopping and then stopping off for fuel on the way home. Fortunately I was near home so the Walk Of Shame wasn't too far, and I was able to leave the bike at the garage while I went and got the battery booster and some tools to get it going.

Once the booster pack was attached it fired up no problem, and it runs ok once it's running. So, that kind of tells me that either the battery isn't getting a charge (knackered or disconnected reg/rec) or the battery's knackered and won't hold a charge. I haven't been out and tested the voltage across the battery while it's running yet because I'm not speaking to the bike.

Am I looking in vaguely the right direction here?

Sounds right to me.

It could be a generator fault - the bike runs of the available charge left in the battery but doesn't top it up.

It could also be the block connectors are corroded enough to stop the charge.

As for reg/recs have a look http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-for...or-upgrade.html

A couple of tests with a volt meter will tell you what you need to know

A bike that doesn't want to turn over could be loads of things, but mainly battery related, yes. First thing to do is to see if it's charging (check voltage when off, check to see if it's jumped up to about 13 when ticking over), then see if it's not over charging (rev it up and see if it flattens off at about 14v). If it's over charging then it's probably done 2 things, firstly the over charge will be boiling the acid off in your battery, meaning it won't hold the charge too well, and secondly, often a regulator that's knackered can mean the diode's gone too, which'll essentially discharge the battery all the time.

If it's neither of these things then it could be something a bit wierd happening with the starter motor too. I had a thing on my TRX which I'd never noticed, but somebody'd punched a hole through the side of the starter motor with a screwdriver, which meant that it was always tricky to start when it was wet. I only noticed it after about 8 months when I did one of those mega-cleaning sessions. A bit of chemical metal soon sorted it.

I'm kind of erring towards the battery being knackered or not getting a charge, as there's not enough there to actually start the bike never mind keep it running once it's going. Am I right in thinking that once the bike is started, the generator provides the power for the cdi to turn into sparks? All the battery is there for is to smooth the power that is generated and to turn the starter motor over.

Right. Seconds away... round 2 :eusa_whistle:

Nope, the charging circuit charges the battery and the battery provides the power.

Thank you :thumbsup:

As an aside, how does a 2 stroke (kickstart) Yam run without a battery?

Normally a capacitor across the generator output.

As for your situation, the amount of current drawn by the starter motor is immense (tens of amps) when compared to the amount of charge drawn by the CDi and coils (milli amps). So your battery might well not have enough charge to turn over the starter motor, but once the engine is turning it has enough charge to run the engine.

As has been said, check your battery is charging by measuring voltage across the terminals with the engine running. If it isn't charging check the alternator output/winding resistance before the reg/rec to find out whether it's alternator or reg/rec. If the battery is charging then one thing to check before you look at the battery is the starter solenoid.

Awesome, thank you :thumbsup:

If the battery is charging then one thing to check before you look at the battery is the starter solenoid.

True. Listen out for a 'tock' when you press the starter button. If you've got tocking going on then your starter circuit is at least in OK shape, and it's just a case of either not enough oomph or a shagged starter itself.

Ok, I'm going to risk a tentative 'sorted'.

I started the bike with the booster pack and watched the voltage on the battery slowly drop by 0.1V every few seconds. It wasn't even connected to the reg/rec.

I unplugged the reg/rec and the connections were, erm, not. There was an amount of crud on them to I cleaned them and took the chance to check the resistances of the generator coils- all was well. So I reconnected stuff and started it back up...

just over 12V at idle and just under 14V right through the revs. I've put the battery on to charge and we'll see what happens tomorrow...

But :huh: and a big ol' thank you to peeps (Chicken!) for their help and suggestifications. The bike was this >< far away from being broken for spares- really, I am that fickle.

I do have a 3TJ frame I want to try the TRX engine in though and am looking for any excuse :thumbsup:

Archived