zx6r running problems

hipringle

its a 99 g model, starts up & the 4 headers get instantly hot but it doesnt like to idle & it fires like its running on 3 cylinders when you rev it up. dont know its history but I know its been stood for about 6 month, any ideas anyone why its firing on 4 pots but sounds & feels like 3?, any known probs to look at first?

thanks

I had a similar problem with my ZXR750. I thought it was ablocked idle jet, but the problem did not clear up until I took out the emulsion tubes and cleaned each one individually and the she was sweet.

A

same when i got my g2

carbs off and clean/balance and new plugs good as gold :eusa_whistle:

Tip......make sure you have a good phillips screwdriver the float bowl screws are made of cheese!

I am just about to clean the carbs out on mine as it does the same thing, any one got a name of a good carb cleaner that i can put in an ultrasonic cleaning bath (handy "find") i assumed some normal degreaser could go in?

could you post if it sorts it?

Cheers

Darren

Ive had this before on my G2, check the needles are in the slides properly.

They are held in by a spring and plastic bung, this bung can pop out and let the needle move about seperate to the slide.

Another thing to watch for is the little sealing o-rings under the top caps, they seal up the hole where the vacuum lifts the slides, if they fall out the bike will run shite as the slides will not get lifted.

Both of these problems will not be apparent until the bike it throttled up as the pilot circuit for idle is not affected.

the bike will idle properly but go all shite under throttle.

well chaps after all the hassel taking the carbs off & inspecting them it turned out it was a dodgy ht lead, on number 4. Thanks for your help etc I think I was lucky it was nowt expensive.

Glad you got it sorted. I got a spare set of coils for mine when I was trying to sort out my issues.

still got them just in case.

Archived