Caliper Piston Pliers

DinoB

Cheapest I can find here, you can find cheaper elsewhere on the web in the UK until you add ludicrous shipping charges and VAT :eusa_think:

I have a set of them ones in the link--to be honest they're not all that for removing sticky pistons,just rotating good ones for a service/cleanup.Suppose it all depends on how seized we're talking but i found that that bracket with the 'clamp screw' opens out if put under any pressure-it's only supported on one side of the pliers if you see what i mean.I tend to use either the set with a slide hammer and various colletts or this little thing(only when caliper is split though)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sealey-AK7112-Disc-B...=item1e5be6afd4

I've got the Sealey ones, they are great for spinning the piston so you clean the hidden side. I pushed the piston back a little, to free the seal, and it spun easily.

Always wondered if plastic pipe pliers would do the job - I know not to use the normal pipe pliers as they'll damage the piston - or will they just rotate the piston round ?

something like these :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Knipex-Plastic-Pipe-...#ht_2180wt_1139

We use similar pliers at work for doing up circular connectors in tight places, may borrow a set to see what they are like :eusa_whistle:

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

after reading the article in the Mag of a few months ago - I set about removing the pistons but they are not of the hollow type - but filled in with something or inserts or even in the wrong way !!!!

How can you remove these - is there a tool ?? The body of the Calipers gets in the way for ordinary pliers..

regards & thanks in advance

Howie

I usually do these kind by putting in a 1/4" socket extension bar where the disc normally runs and hydraulically pumping the pistons out as far as possible(so all of them come out),then removing the caliper and use a snap on airgun(has a rubber soft sealing face)to pneumatically blow the pistons out -chuck some rag over them as they can go ballistic!!

I've got an old slice of aluminum, about 5mm thick that I stick between the pistons, and then I just pump them out with the master cylinder, they'll come 95% of the way out and the final bit I can do by hand.

I've got an old slice of aluminum, about 5mm thick that I stick between the pistons, and then I just pump them out with the master cylinder, they'll come 95% of the way out and the final bit I can do by hand.

+1 on that one

Slight problem with that is the whole lot is in bits and master cylinder is still in (prolly) Harris' warehouse.

Sorted it now by drilling and tapping a 6pm hole to pull out the pistons getting new anyway.

H

I know that Draper do them, if you've split the calipers you can always use a cut down Rawlbolt :rock:

Having been unable to get my Tokico six pot pistons out with my cheese pliers I thought I had nothing to lose by trying rawlbolts, and tis fucking genius I tell thee !!

Bought a bolt for each piston size, and a spare nut for each bolt. Assembled this with the spare nut above the wall fixing. Then pushed the wall fixing into the psiton and tightened the spare nut down with a spanner. Eventualy the bolt grips sufficiently and you just twist the piston out.

Worked first time on all but one of my twelve pistons, and that one came out after soaking in WD40 for an hour or so.

Jon

Archived