R1 in July Issue

Big Bill

Hi,

I've just joined the forum so a big hello from Glasgow. :eusa_whistle:

I've an 05 R1 and read with interest the piece about the R1 owned by Nigel Cartwright.

I'm especialy interested in the fact that he's running the bike with a heavily modified exhaust and no power commander.

I've always thought that a power commander was essential to stop the engine running lean. I've found the 'gizmo' that Rupert Paul describes but is it really that easy?

Any advice would be welcome before I take a masonary drill to my bike. :lol:

'tis me indeed , here's the baffles ,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-R1-R...451805211QQptZM

the cat can be easily removed as described but dont breath the dust in

the gizmo was a 0-4k variable resistor wired in series with the air temp sensor ( in the airbox lid )brown /white wire . on the dash you can display ambient air temp , it's not as accurate as going into full diagnostic mode but fairly close , and i've tried it at various positions , usually ambient -10 tho' at cadwell last monday running tesco 99 octane I tried it at -20 , but this proves a bit much starting from cold , easy enough turn it down , get it warm turn it up , the theory is that with the apparently colder air it chucks a bit more fuel in and gives it a bit more ign advance , I've never dyno'd it but it feels nice , the plugs looked ok and it doesn't drink fuel excessively when ridden with a bit more restraint . if you look at most power commander maps for the r1 most of them at full throttle / high revs are on 0 so the pc is doing nowt anyway , I've got nothing against pc's and may eventually end up with one( if one turn's up at the right price !) but this was an experiment that can be quickly taken out of the system if it plays up and had a total cost of under £4 most of which was for the posh knob ,

have fun playing

'tis me indeed , here's the baffles ,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-R1-R...451805211QQptZM

the cat can be easily removed as described but dont breath the dust in

the gizmo was a 0-4k variable resistor wired in series with the air temp sensor ( in the airbox lid )brown /white wire . on the dash you can display ambient air temp , it's not as accurate as going into full diagnostic mode but fairly close , and i've tried it at various positions , usually ambient -10 tho' at cadwell last monday running tesco 99 octane I tried it at -20 , but this proves a bit much starting from cold , easy enough turn it down , get it warm turn it up , the theory is that with the apparently colder air it chucks a bit more fuel in and gives it a bit more ign advance , I've never dyno'd it but it feels nice , the plugs looked ok and it doesn't drink fuel excessively when ridden with a bit more restraint . if you look at most power commander maps for the r1 most of them at full throttle / high revs are on 0 so the pc is doing nowt anyway , I've got nothing against pc's and may eventually end up with one( if one turn's up at the right price !) but this was an experiment that can be quickly taken out of the system if it plays up and had a total cost of under £4 most of which was for the posh knob ,

have fun playing

Archived