stuck flywheel

paul8899

Hello,

I have been trying for a few days to remove the flywheel off my ypvs and I made a puller at work today .

So I screwed it into the centre thread ( m27 left hand ) and then did the centre screw up to remove it, suprise suprise it wouldn't come off so I gave a little tap, still won't come off.

So I gave it a little bit more of a whack, still no joy but a bent screw :icon_bounce:

Replaced the screw, did it up nice and tight and the head popped off !!

Bugger

Gave it another whack , still stuck fast !

So now I have a ypvs engine with the generator still on and the removal tool stuck in said generator, I'm hoping that it will come off on its own ( its stuck under pressure ) I'm just off to get the mrs hairdryer to warm it up but failing that any ideas as to how to get it off ?

Hello,

I have been trying for a few days to remove the flywheel off my ypvs and I made a puller at work today .

So I screwed it into the centre thread ( m27 left hand ) and then did the centre screw up to remove it, suprise suprise it wouldn't come off so I gave a little tap, still won't come off.

So I gave it a little bit more of a whack, still no joy but a bent screw :icon_bounce:

Replaced the screw, did it up nice and tight and the head popped off !!

Bugger

Gave it another whack , still stuck fast !

So now I have a ypvs engine with the generator still on and the removal tool stuck in said generator, I'm hoping that it will come off on its own ( its stuck under pressure ) I'm just off to get the mrs hairdryer to warm it up but failing that any ideas as to how to get it off ?

i've got a proper puller in me garage, which you can borrow if you come and get it..

(pretty sure it's a ypvs one)

Paging Docjohn, paging Docjohn.

Docjohn to the workshop, I repeat, Docjohn to the workshop.

:D

Is the puller still under pressure? If so leave it a couple of hours and then give it another hit with the hammer.

I managed to get the broken bolt out and replaced it with another, I am going to leave it as you suggested an hopefully it will come off. Just a bit gutted as I wanted to strip the engine down and get it blasted next week :eusa_think:

If it doesn't come off over the weekend Ill take it to work and get a more manly bolt instead of the girly one thats in there at the moment

Thanks for your help

is there enough space around the flywheel to fit a gear puller? if you can find a big enough one then that might be an option. it wasnt an option for me when i had the same problem as you because there wasnt enough space

Been having the same problems with a mito flywheel, ive gone through 2 flywheel pullers that are both fooked now, soaked the complete bottom end WD40, tried a gas torch and its still stuck on. Its been sitting for months now under presure in the hope it might pop off but no luck. Let me know if you get it off, i could do with some fresh ideas.

If the 3 bolts holding the stator to the crank cases are short enough, you may be able to remove them, split the cases and remove the crank with the generator in situ. You could then get a BIG press involved. Careful though, it is possible to snap the end off the crank. If/when you do get it off, lap the flywheel to the crank taper, a better fit on the taper means you dont have to do it up till your ears bleed to stop it coming loose.

I managed to finally get it off :)

Like most things in life all it needed was a good screw ( I made a 12mm screw up at work with a ball bearing in the end ) used a length of bar on the end of the allen key and off it popped .

I had a quick look at the taper and it looks like it had rusted itself together so I think that was what was holding it on so tight.

If it were me I'd first of all make sure that the puller wasn't working on the end of the crank, but rather on the flywheel bolt that has been wound off about 2 turns.

I'd fit the puller and then stick the whole engine in a freezer for 24hrs, I'd take it out of the freezer, wind in bit of tension into the puller and start heating the outside edge of the flywheel all the way round with a hot air gun to create a temperature differential between the crank and the flywheel, I'd also be shocking the flywheel with a nylon mallet all way around the edge (hitting at diametrically opposite points on the circumference) to try and shock it free....all the while keeping a constant pressure on the puller's jacking screw.

I don't know if the ball bearing in the end of the jacking screw made any difference or it was the bashing I gave it over the weekend ( the flywheel ) but it came off with a lot less force than I used before.

Archived