Kr-1s electrical problem

bikemike

Last time I took my Kr-1s out I noticed my rev counter was playing up.

Thinking my rectifier was allowing the voltage to get too high I limped home and put a different rectifier on it.

Took the bike out again- same problem.

So I got the multimeter out and measured the voltage at the battery; this is what I got-

At high idle (about 2000rpm) 13.7v- exactly what it should have.

BUT- on increasing the revs the voltage started to drop steadily- by 8000rpm the voltage was down to 5 volts

One point to bear in mind is that my battery is completely f***ed, it struggles to hold even a couple of volts. However it has been like this for a couple of years now and it hasn't caused me any problems (kick starts are wonderful things!).

Any ideas folks? I think it is unlikely that both regulators have failed in the same way, could it be the stator?

Help!

Mike

Go through this and see if it shows any faults. I've used it a couple of times and it's pretty comprehensive. Hope this helps, Ben.

Go through this and see if it shows any faults. I've used it a couple of times and it's pretty comprehensive. Hope this helps, Ben.

Cheers Ben, that looks very useful. I need to get a new battery first though!

Mike

It'll be the generator - same thing happened on mine (back in '93 !) when it got high mileage,never had any of the usual problems with the rings/wonky barrels/KIPS valves tho cos the motor had been Blueprinted :)

I never had any of the usual problems with the rings/wonky barrels/KIPS valves tho cos the motor had been Blueprinted :eusa_dance:

Touch wood, mine has been trouble free since I put in a jewel of an engine built by Graham File. Remarkable what a difference it makes putting an engine together properly.

Mike

Archived