What the F*** is SS8 Fork Oil?

Callahan

Alright guys, I've noticed one of my Fork Seals is weeping a little and I've got my MOT on Monday so I'm going to replace them and I'm obviously going to change the Fork Oil while I'm at it. My workshop manual says to use "SS8" Fork Oil. When I were a lad Fork Oil came in 5, 10, 15wt etc.; anyone know what SS8 relates to? I googled it but came up with about 3 different answers!

Look forward to hearing from anyone who knows!

Cheers,

Jonny

It seems SS-8 is one of Honda's branded fork oils, and not related to the rating of the oil itself.

It seems SS-8 is one of Honda's branded fork oils, and not related to the rating of the oil itself.

Yeah it seems that way. I'm now fairly confident it's 10wt.

Yeah it seems that way. I'm now fairly confident it's 10wt.

That "SS-8" stuff is Showa Suspension fluid 10wt. The closest equivalents are Silkolene Pro RSF 7.5wt(HIGHLY recommended) or Motorex Racing Fork oil 7.5wt-which will return the damping back to it's standard performance. The Silkolene RSF is by far a million miles the best option AND will most likely be the cheaper of the oils. Some other "branded" 10wt oils can/will give different performance properties due to variances in what end of the scale manufacturers lean to using engine-oil labels("7.5wt, 10wt") on fine-tuning suspension oil.

That "SS-8" stuff is Showa Suspension fluid 10wt. The closest equivalents are Silkolene Pro RSF 7.5wt(HIGHLY recommended) or Motorex Racing Fork oil 7.5wt-which will return the damping back to it's standard performance. The Silkolene RSF is by far a million miles the best option AND will most likely be the cheaper of the oils. Some other "branded" 10wt oils can/will give different performance properties due to variances in what end of the scale manufacturers lean to using engine-oil labels("7.5wt, 10wt") on fine-tuning suspension oil.

Thanks for that, jobs getting done Friday night so I'll report back on how successful it was!

Cheers.

Archived