aaaaaaaaarrrggggghhhhh

skyline

Kicking myself a lot at the moment - did a stupid basic error at a bend and crashed my Bandit...thought I was going in too quick, panicked, slammed the brakes on, bike went straight on and slipped on gravel. I am pissed off at myself something chronic. :thumbsup:

There's now a gaping hole in the starter clutch cover which I'd just replaced the bloody gasket for this week...all the oils' come out and also probably a lot of dirt and gravel from the road has gone in as well... :lol:

Would you good people reckon a flush with cheap oil before filling up with good oil would get rid of this potential crap? Or would it be (gulp) necessary to remove the engine and split the cases?

Cheers all :P

the simple answer is this, how sure are you that there is nothing hiding anywhere in the casings that would potentially distroy an otherwise good engine? would you rather split the casings and spend out on new gaskets and while your there do a bit of work to the engine or spend the next couple of weeks looking for a new engine and wishing you had done the previous. i think the saying is prevention is better than cure.

Sump off would be my method

Yep ^.

Drain the oil first (if there's any left in it?) and use paraffin to flush it out turning the engine over by hand, sump off, and flush it through.

Then pray.

Ok, the sump off method...

Gonna be really thick here, but to flush it out with paraffin I need to replace the cover, pour a set amount in as oil replacement.

Remove spark plugs and turn engine over either by removing the timing cover and putting a socket on the crank, or by putting the bike in top gear and moving the back wheel.

Do that for a number of revolutions then remove the sump bolt to drain the paraffin, then remove the sump (14 - 16 bolts and remove a gasket) and clean and crap left over in it.

Replace sump and gasket, pour crap oil in, start bike and let it idle for 5 mins then stop engine and drop crap oil.

Replace oil and filter.

Am I on the right track here? :eusa_think:

Cheers again all :D

• 4 weeks later...

Bit late maybe, but you should be on the right track. I wore through the generator cover on my 1100 Kat', flushed it with cheap oil and went to do another 25000 miles (63000 in total) no problemo

Bit late maybe, but you should be on the right track. I wore through the generator cover on my 1100 Kat', flushed it with cheap oil and went to do another 25000 miles (63000 in total) no problemo

Cheers mate :D

Quick update, replaced the starter cover and at last got the sump off today, thankfully doesn't seem to be much crap in there but there still is some which I'll clean out with parrafin. I'm currently wrestling with the oil strainer bolts to try and take it apart to clean the strainer mesh.

I ended up chickening out of filling the engine with paraffin after reading some scare stories about using it, I am a wuss :huh: I'll put it back together and possibly do a couple of flushes of crap engine oil, idling the bike for 5 mins each time then draining the oil back out before putting the decent oil in and praying.

I'll get some pictures of the sump up in my other thread when I can remember the camera!

Cheers again! :icon_bounce:

Archived