Quickshifter

Adam

Yes.

Buy one.

Techtronics do a kit which includes a bespoke loom for the early R1's

details here http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8651

I think you can still get the kits, either from HPS or direct from Techtronics. Or they occasionally come up on ebay, which is where I got mine.

works well on my 4xv. Not sure really how much faster it makes the bike but it does give a lovely pop on the upshift, which is worth at least 50 bhp, maybe more.

It's a piece of piss to fit - you just run the supplied loom from the battery up to the coils and make the various connections.

Only buggeration to note is fitting the shift rod itself, it's a right arse as the wire gets in the way. I broke the wire and had to source a replacement rod, which again I got from ebay. I've since modified the bolts on the linkage so I can remove & refit the rod without having the same problem.

Yes.

Buy one.

Techtronics do a kit which includes a bespoke loom for the early R1's

details here http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8651

I think you can still get the kits, either from HPS or direct from Techtronics. Or they occasionally come up on ebay, which is where I got mine.

works well on my 4xv. Not sure really how much faster it makes the bike but it does give a lovely pop on the upshift, which is worth at least 50 bhp, maybe more.

It's a piece of piss to fit - you just run the supplied loom from the battery up to the coils and make the various connections.

Only buggeration to note is fitting the shift rod itself, it's a right arse as the wire gets in the way. I broke the wire and had to source a replacement rod, which again I got from ebay. I've since modified the bolts on the linkage so I can remove & refit the rod without having the same problem.

Yeah, see it's all in the wording....

Does anyone know how to make one?

sorry for trying to help :eusa_whistle:

Good luck with that one

sorry for trying to help :)

Good luck with that one

Sorry fella,

the way I see it, the shift rod switch is easy, it's just the circuit that controls the ignition cut time that is the difficult bit.

I fancy have a go at one from scratch, they're quite serious money, unless you get a lucky ebay find.

cheers

Adam

If you're trying to make one to safe on costs, you're on to a hiding, I am afraid. About the cheapest way to get something like it is to have a button on the left handle bar that momentarily interupts the ignition. But even then, you'll need some kind of control unit that allows you to set the interrupt pulse accurately at around 30 ms. If you have a PowerCommander III USB on the bike, then you can plug the switch directly into it. You'll need to enable the function via special software on the PowerCommander via your laptop.

If you've thinking of making one just for a challange, the trick will be to make a reliable sensor that picks up the movement in the shift lever. Typical approaches include a hall sensor, or pressure sensor, or strain gauge. That'll be a lab project, then.

Good luck.

I bet Techtronics know how to make one :)

As far as I can tell you need to make a circuit that cuts the signal to the coils, so just the same as hitting the kill switch on your bike, and you want to make it adjustable so you can alter the time it kills it for. It shouldn't be to hard to rig up a basic control chip, I think they are called 555 chips which is probably simple electronics. If you get book on basic electronic engineering you should be able to figure it out.

I bet Techtronics know how to make one :)

As far as I can tell you need to make a circuit that cuts the signal to the coils, so just the same as hitting the kill switch on your bike, and you want to make it adjustable so you can alter the time it kills it for. It shouldn't be to hard to rig up a basic control chip, I think they are called 555 chips which is probably simple electronics. If you get book on basic electronic engineering you should be able to figure it out.

Haha I bet they do!

I bet Techtronics know how to make one :eusa_whistle:

That's what I should have said the first time :tumbleweed:

FYI the techtronics one is adjustable for rod sensitivity and kill time, I'm assuming most q/s are the same in that regard.

I think that some of the more modern ones are even more advanced and can be set to different kill times for different gears, though I may be talking complete bollocks there.

No point talking about Power Commanders an' ting, the OP is on about an early R1. with carbs and shit. Fuel injection? Meh!

Sorry fella,

the way I see it, the shift rod switch is easy, it's just the circuit that controls the ignition cut time that is the difficult bit.

I fancy have a go at one from scratch, they're quite serious money, unless you get a lucky ebay find.

cheers

Adam

Adam... just a thought...

I recently bought a second kit off ebay, as I needed a replacement shift rod

So I have a spare loom for an early R1 and a control box, plus my original shift rod which worked fine until the broken wire.

Might be the perfect start for you? you can see what's involved if you want to make one from scratch. I've got the instructions too.

If you're interested, PM me. I'm away from today through to 12th july though.

Archived