Electric Water Pump & Controller

fran9r

No, but I like them.. if I could manage the wizardry to make it a variable speed related to temp as well I would go and sort one out...

Italian dude on ebay sells them

I have run one for the last four years on my NC, mixed expiriences.

- Davies craig pump.

Pros:

You buy a package with controller and pump, simple to set up and go

light weight (250g)

Small

Cons:

had two of these the fail, without any warning, both times it cost me a entire track weekend. Crap!!

Expensive around £100+similar for the controller

smallish flowrate 13l/min

Not widely availeble

- Bosch (from VW touran)

Pros:

Can get one from every VW/Seat/Ford dealer and breakers too

Build quite tough

High flow rate 20l/min

Cons:

Heavy (at 400g, stock honda mechnical pump is 700g)

Still a bit pricy approx £110 from new

A bit bigger than the DC pump

I don't use a controller with the pump, I have fund that for track work it most be on all the time anyways. Coolant temp stays between 78-82 degrees with the davies craig pump and 75-80 with the bosch, ofcourse it rises in pitlane due to not having a fan on the bike.

A good mod for the enthusiast, but not for the "get on and go" types, need careful installation and plugs and electrical system must be maintained and overlooked in order to have steady performance.

Ronni

I have run one for the last four years on my NC, mixed expiriences.

- Davies craig pump.

Pros:

You buy a package with controller and pump, simple to set up and go

light weight (250g)

Small

Cons:

had two of these the fail, without any warning, both times it cost me a entire track weekend. Crap!!

Expensive around £100+similar for the controller

smallish flowrate 13l/min

Not widely availeble

- Bosch (from VW touran)

Pros:

Can get one from every VW/Seat/Ford dealer and breakers too

Build quite tough

High flow rate 20l/min

Cons:

Heavy (at 400g, stock honda mechnical pump is 700g)

Still a bit pricy approx £110 from new

A bit bigger than the DC pump

I don't use a controller with the pump, I have fund that for track work it most be on all the time anyways. Coolant temp stays between 78-82 degrees with the davies craig pump and 75-80 with the bosch, ofcourse it rises in pitlane due to not having a fan on the bike.

A good mod for the enthusiast, but not for the "get on and go" types, need careful installation and plugs and electrical system must be maintained and overlooked in order to have steady performance.

Ronni

Great stuff. It that on an NC30? I'm not familiar with the layout, is the original water pump driven from the cams?

I was looking into it as a cheap alternative to a £250 Pan Euro water pump (or at least a more reliable option)...I've not stripped the engine yet so I'm just trying to understand it. It does appear to be one mechanical weakness of the stock engine, so it might be a plan even if I need a replacement engine. I ask about the NC arrangements because I'm interested what you did re removing the original pump.

Yes on a NC30, std pump is driven from the oil pump and I got a plug from a guy called rick Oliver to close the hole in cases, I know a guy can do a similar plug for you if needed. I can find/take a pic of my plug so you can see how it works?

Ronni

A pic would be great -is the oil and water pump conbined then? It is on the 9, and if I can cut a bit of weight and mechanical drag, I would.

I'll sort a pic tomorrow,

waterpump sits outside the cases, but are driven from the same shaft as the oilpump, but you just remove the water pump, plug the hole and fit the electric one with it hoses, no problem (on the NC30)

Ronni

Never on a bike, but have worked out well on cars. Davies Craig have a pretty big range of EWPs now, they seem to have all the bases covered. I'd only fit on to a bike if I needed it for packaging reasons on a special; doesn't really provide any other real world gains.

Less mechanical drag, and less weight? Seems a good balance to me...

Not sure if it would/could work with a 9R combined oil/water pump though.

IMG_2697.jpg

After a bit of a wait, sorry.

This an old photo showing the davies craig pump and the blacking plug for the cases (the semi-round alloy thing boltet in place). Pump is now a bosch and I use a strip of carbonfibre to hold the plug in place..

Ronni

Archived