Alu welder

Bat Fastard

Morning Peps,

I have put a hole in an outer engine case ( alternator cover) :eusa_whistle: and need a decent welder/firm that can weld it up for me. Its an aluminium case. Hole is about 1 cm by 2cm in size.

Anyone know of a decent firm/workshop that can do this for me around the surrey/berkshire area? :eusa_pray:

Thanks in advance. :icon_salut:

bound to be one near you, go to a bike meet or race meet and ask someone who owns older/quirky or special stuff. up here we have roy marriot aka forge welding. used to do rob macs stuff aswell as having a contract with the national motorcycle museum, quality is second to none. do you have a pic? possibly use chemical putty, jb weld is good. we use it inside the crankcases so its strong.is it visible? and what bike is it?

Another option is to try any local collecges/universities offering tech courses because the tutor will probably be able to sort something out.

I think scotty/rescogs knows someone who lives in Ashford, Surrey that does ally welding...

I can weld ali but am not near you.

some engine cases can be a pain to weld though due to the material.

I can weld ali but am not near you.

some engine cases can be a pain to weld though due to the material.

This^^^.

Cast aluminium is rarely just aluminium, there can be allsorts of crap thrown in with it.

Best bet would be to braze it. Try it yourself... all you need are some HTS2000 or Durafix aluminium brazing rods and a MAPP gas or turbo tip torch.

If this sounds scary... there's a bodge that I've used in the past that works well:

If you have enough clearance from inside the cover, you can use a piece of ally mesh to bridge the hole. Drill and tap two small holes either side of the hole and screw the mesh down. You can file or linish the screws down if they protrude out the front of the cover, then use some Devcon putty over the mesh to fill the hole, screws an' all.

Devcon putty use this at work for emergance repaires,we have a rew diferent types,wet repaire,titanium repaire and a few other types,i would recomend this to every one as it sets rock hard.

a dit dear but you pay for wot you get.

Bat Fastard

What bike is the engine off? I have welded a few succsesfully before if you want to post it I can throw some alloy on it for you.

Kev

Thanks for the replies/offers. :angry:

I thought about some sort of liquid metal but thought getting it welded would be better.

Its the alternator casing on a 996. Hole is on the edge of the case just above the location of the sprocket.

I will see what I can get sorted. :rolleyes:

I have a spare alt cover for a 996, it has been welded before and is a bit scruffy, but is sound and oil tight, it's yours if you pay the postage.

Duncan.

Archived