not really "performance"

alext

i had one of those (first bike after test for about a week , then 350lc) only time i thought it was quick was once dashing onto the m11 on the slip road , when wow rush of speed followed by a seized top end . the oil feeds had both popped off the carbs . nice and comfy though . and a nice one like that will surely go up in value so if the misses moans tell her it's an investment .

th missus is relaly fine with it - it keeps me occupied and out of her hair - and its cheaper than some pastimes I could have.

I jsut have to sort the ricjness on part-throttle - any hints?? Im new to this 2-stroke lark.

better rich in the middle than lean at the top . have you done a plug chop on it ? to check its running rich all through most 2t's gurgle and fart befor coming on the pipe

better rich in the middle than lean at the top . have you done a plug chop on it ? to check its running rich all through most 2t's gurgle and fart befor coming on the pipe

gurgle and fart - yup. that exacty wot its doing!!!

two strokes run in unison with there pipes (boring stuff about resonance frequencies , back pressure to stop the charge escaping the cylinder etc) . the diameter and the length of the expansion will determin where the bike makes its power and also how much . but an aftermarket expansion like your allspeeds are desingened to push the power slightly up the rev range , it will make more but will run slightly rougher outside these revs . it could well be that your bike is well set up without listening or riding it i couldn't tell you . you can make small adjustments to the carburation by either raising or lowering the needle in the carb , larger changes by changing the jet sizes , and larger still changes by increasing the volume of your carbs . realy this is something someone in the know should help you with . you could book an hour at a dyno - they usualy charge about £25 or so pounds an hour , but some dyno's don't like mucking around with 2t's as they can go bang and end in an argument about who responsibility the damage is .

Tidy looking that. I had a red one many years ago. No mono conversion though. I likes it.

well, today it point-blank refused to start until over 20 minutes of bumping it up and down the road.

I dropped the needles to the middle clip and this certainly improved the part-throttle running , but it really didnt want to go first thing - just been out on it at lunchtime and it started and ran fine.

One of police-bikers having to traffic-manage the Highland-show - it at least brought a smile to his bored face as I buzzed down the road past him

• 3 weeks later...

further update;-

after completely refusing to start after 2 hours of bumping... I re-stripped the carbs, blew through everywhere with the airline, and now it stsarts perfectly on choke!!!!

but now once I get off the pilot-jet the left hsnd cylinder shuts down - think Ive got dirt somewhere else now - think I need to get these carbs cleaned properly!!

Archived