NC 30 questions

pixelpusher

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I've got a lovely condition very standard (50 000 km) '92 model Nc 30 that I use predominantly for road and will occasionally do track with.

I don't have tons of cash to throw at the machine to improve it... and since I don't have a garage the mods will have to be done by a bike shop (in Paris region).

I have however found a shop that'll happily work on the machine and install my supplied parts etc.

So the questions:

Want a double bubble screen.... which makes are worthwhile... I've read Tyga ones are flimsy?

Suspension need serious redoing and wouldn't mind a little more height at rear...

Rick oliver kit for forks or just new springs and oil? Which springs?

Rebuild rear shock and new linkage... or new shock? Which brands good and affordable?

HRC fuel tap mod and fuel line break worth the result for the hassle? What advice?

Gonna get headrace, swingarm and linkage bearings replaced while it's all apart... anything I've missed?

Any other affordable mods that are wothwhile?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I've got a lovely condition very standard (50 000 km) '92 model Nc 30 that I use predominantly for road and will occasionally do track with.

I don't have tons of cash to throw at the machine to improve it... and since I don't have a garage the mods will have to be done by a bike shop (in Paris region).

I have however found a shop that'll happily work on the machine and install my supplied parts etc.

So the questions:

Want a double bubble screen.... which makes are worthwhile... I've read Tyga ones are flimsy? << I got a cheap chinese one for £28 delivered..it is spot on

Suspension need serious redoing and wouldn't mind a little more height at rear...

Rick oliver kit for forks or just new springs and oil? Which springs? << Rick Oliver kit - sorted in one stroke.

Rebuild rear shock and new linkage... or new shock? Which brands good and affordable? <<RVF linkage (and/or) RS250 Aprilia Shock + refresh

HRC fuel tap mod and fuel line break worth the result for the hassle? What advice? << No, don't do it...waste of time, no performance gain at all.

Gonna get headrace, swingarm and linkage bearings replaced while it's all apart... anything I've missed?

Any other affordable mods that are wothwhile? << Get it dyno set up and if you find your brakes are weedy then fit some later Nissin calipers (SP1,blade etc type) and a matching mastercylinder..sorted.

See above... function over form and all the mods listed are tested and guaranteed spot on.

Ta!

Any auxillary mods to make the other calipers fit?

I forgot... crash protection!

Looking for as much as possible forks, frame cases etc.....

I went for a upgrade kit for the forks as I am sure the springs in a 20 year old bike cant be as good now. Its simple fitting for the bike shop. Although when I just changed the oil that made a big difference. Do that to all my bikes now.

HRC fuel tap mod is not worth it at all, dont know if mine wasnt done right but it wouldnt stop flowing and filled the crankcases with petrol while it was on the trailer. :eusa_think:

I wouldnt do anything that effects it as a road bike just to make it slightly better on track, my school of thought with modding a bike that is used on the road is to keep electrics and fueling as standard as possible.

As CMSMJ1 says, get some SP1 brakes if you are finding yours lacking, superb!

018.jpg

Ta!

Any auxillary mods to make the other calipers fit?

Those mounts are only £30. There also is ones that mean you can use 996 brakes.

I found +2 on the rear sprocket, a slip-on race can and rejetting to suit worked well. Did the rear ride height mod with the RVF linkage and greased all the bearings etc while apart - made quite a difference. Other than that, the usual braided brake lines suggestion.

Quick edit - also worth checking if it's restricted. If it is you can get a plug and play resistor to sort it very cheaply and easily (Rick Oliver does them).

Quick edit - also worth checking if it's restricted. If it is you can get a plug and play resistor to sort it very cheaply and easily (Rick Oliver does them).

Or just bend the contacts away in the speedo, thats cheap!

You done the bearings yet Steve?

Okay, cool.

Nah, it's unrestricted and goes well!

Brakes are ok, with braided hoses fitted... so I'lll probably wait a while with that mod.

No complaints from the performance side.... it's handling and protection I'm seeking for the time being.

The obsession for losing weight and more power and better braking will probably follow later.

R&G non drill bungs for protection...and don't fall off it...

light alloy bars

fresh fluid all over - engine, coolant, brakes

lubed cables

clean air filter

nice renthal grips...lockwired on for the pukka (and safe) look

large indicators to stop our gallic cousins from ramming you...

decent headlamp - fit the relay to allow 55/65 lamps instead of jap spec 35/55 candles

What relay? Where do I get one?

Rvf linkage... where do I find one of 'em?

Been trailing Fleabay with no success... and ringing up breakers in Blighty'll cost a penny from here....

Those mounts are only £30. There also is ones that mean you can use 996 brakes.

And said mounts are available where?

http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/NC30LowBeamRelay.htm (you'll then need to trim and fit the H4 bulbs either with adapter rings from ebay/elsewhere or with a nail/similar)

All your needs catered for..Rick Oliver top chap. Happy to give out advice rather than just sell you something.

+1 for Rick being great, spoke to him last night about something new for my NC, superb service and advice as always. He can also supply the jackup linkages.

Ryan, i got a Aprillia RS250 shock, later height adjustable type that was removed from a friends RVF. it has a different spring on it and a custom top mount so you dont have to hack the shock up with a angle grinder.

Im holding on to it till end of the month for someone but if it dont come through it'll be up for sale

DSC03013.jpg

You done the bearings yet Steve?

not yet, waiting on parts. did bolt something onto the GSXR today though :)

Rvf linkage... where do I find one of 'em?

Been trailing Fleabay with no success... and ringing up breakers in Blighty'll cost a penny from here....

I have an RVF linkage (clean), some of the mounts (never fitted) , calipers (need a clean) and a mastercylinder (spanky).... all in boxes as I got them and never fitted as I have too many things already!!

Want to make me an offer? :tacheemoticonwh7:

I have an RVF linkage (clean), some of the mounts (never fitted) , calipers (need a clean) and a mastercylinder (spanky).... all in boxes as I got them and never fitted as I have too many things already!!

Want to make me an offer? :thumbsup:

I've no idea mate? What ya looking for all that?

Still not sure I really need to do the brakes.....

Right now I'm still battling to get insured here and get the Frog reregistering done..... Fark!

Many, many thanks to all the super friendly PB members for all the advice, encouragement, support etc you dispense here!

This place has really become home since I found it.

Given, you're all a bit mad... but it probably explains why i like it here... :icon_pale:

Archived