exhaust heat!

hondabri

just fitted a full Akrapovic race system to my fireblade and after a couple of rides out i have noticed its starting to melt the plastic on the bellypan, can i get some type of bandage to keep the heat away and if so where and if not is their anything i can get to put on the bellypan to protect it from melting anymore? THANKS :icon_blackeye:

just fitted a full Akrapovic race system to my fireblade and after a couple of rides out i have noticed its starting to melt the plastic on the bellypan, can i get some type of bandage to keep the heat away and if so where and if not is their anything i can get to put on the bellypan to protect it from melting anymore? THANKS :icon_blackeye:

you can get exhaust wrap. but i think i saw somewhere some heat deflector stuff that seemed to work quite well, check demon tweeks

I have it on pretty good authority that a couple of leading race car manufacturer tried the fancy expensive heat reflective material, including the gold stuff you'll see on a lot of high end products, ran some tests and came to the conclusion that it was no better (and a lot more expensive) than ordinary kitchen aluminium foil.

Apparently they send someone down to tescos to get a trolley full when they begin to run low.

Could give it a try.

Tin foil would help but I think somebodies taking the pi55 out of you if they tell you they use it in "leading race cars"

I've used this self adhesive heat shield in the Bimota's tail section. The picture is of it half done.

Negative0-35-351.jpg

Before I needed to stand up to let my asre cool down after about 70-80 miles, after I could ride it all day. Now I've had the pipes Camcoated, it's a chemical applied finish and cuts a lot of the heat out. Mine's coated on the inside and outside it also has the advantage of keeping the exhaust gases hot which makes them easier to move through the pipe.

Tin foil would help but I think somebodies taking the pi55 out of you if they tell you they use it in "leading race cars"

I've used this self adhesive heat shield in the Bimota's tail section. The picture is of it half done.

Negative0-35-351.jpg

Before I needed to stand up to let my asre cool down after about 70-80 miles, after I could ride it all day. Now I've had the pipes Camcoated, it's a chemical applied finish and cuts a lot of the heat out. Mine's coated on the inside and outside it also has the advantage of keeping the exhaust gases hot which makes them easier to move through the pipe.

Hmm............. Not sure I agree with this comment... One of the leading suppliers of fire blanket and exhaust wrap.Made this claim a few years ago. But after spending some time with guys like Brian Hart (Hart engines) and Mark Otway (Ex Engine Developements designer) I found out they try and remove heat from the exhaust as fast as possible. Hot expanding exhaust gasses take up more space and restrict the exhaust flow more and have the opposite effect to the claim you have read. Just look at what happens to a 2 liter pop bottle if you fill it with boiling water, empty it and replace the top. The air in the bottle contracts to ambient temperature and the bottle looks crushed. Possibly by over 50%! That would mean even at about 100 degrees the air takes up almost double the space of ambient temp air so imagine exhaust gasses at over 900 degrees taking up an even greater space. In F1 they use inconel for there exhausts and this disipates heat faster than stainless steel or even titanium. It loses heat so fast they have to use gas torches to get the metal red hot before they weld it so that the weld doesnt become brittle and shatter. This is another reason they use heat reflective tapes as the heat has to go somewhere and the tape is usually used close to the intake to reflect heat away from the cooler incoming air, also to protect parts that are sensitive to heat.

Archived