Slight coolant leak on SP-2

trumpetman21

Came to roll the bike out this morning to use it for work and there were a tell-tale couple of green spots on the floor under the fairing. After starting it & running it for 10 mins a few more drops started to apear and the nearside (LHS) radiator seemed to be smoking slightly.

I had the bike serviced (all fluids changed) on the 12th June and since then had done around 250 miles without any apparent leakage, the bike had sat unused for 3 days so I found it strange that it should decide to start leaking now.

Is this likely to just be a loose hose? If it was a misplaced coolant bottle or rad cap I would have thought it would have done something shortly after the service - not 250 miles later?

Didn't have time to look at it properly this morning, intend to have a close look after work. Any advice appreciated - cheers.

:D

I am hoping it's something simple connected to the recent service - a loose clip or similar. Having only owned the bike for 2 months I've not yet had the fairing off - how easy/hard are they to remove?

Cheers.

I am hoping it's something simple connected to the recent service - a loose clip or similar. Having only owned the bike for 2 months I've not yet had the fairing off - how easy/hard are they to remove?

Cheers.

The fairings are really difficult to remove - almost impossible - I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Sounds serious, it's totally fucked but as a gesture of goodwill I'll take it off your hands for a crisp fiver :blush:

hope you can get it sorted fella

Dead easy. Just watch out for the stupid plastic push pins that Honda use (there's a couple along the mid line underneath the bike).....you can get replacements (not exactly the same, but near as dammit) from Halfords (door panel pins).

Cheers, I remember those pins from the CBR600F4 I had. Pain in the ar$e they were....

The fairings are really difficult to remove - almost impossible - I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Sounds serious, it's totally fucked but as a gesture of goodwill I'll take it off your hands for a crisp fiver :eusa_whistle:

hope you can get it sorted fella

:D

Multipy that fiver by a factor of 1300 or so and you're just about there....;)

Think I've got to the bottom of it - coolant seemed to be seeping out of the hose/radiator connection at the top of the LHS radiator when the engine was between 60°C & 90°C. Above & below this range leakage was minimal.

Tightened the clip & that seemed to sort it out, only time will tell for sure though!

And the fairing was a joy to remove & replace - non of this contrived b0ll0x modern tackle has been lumbered with....

Since I bought my '06 Blade, I've had to go through my hoses one by one tightening them up due to drips under the bike. Seems to be alright now though.

I'm sure you've got the same crappy Honda hoses and clips I've got, so I doubt you've got anything to worry about.

Just go Sherlock Holmes on it and tighten up all the clamps you can get at.

You'll shit yourself when you discover just how much tightening they'll need!

F*ckin Honda eh?

:eusa_think:

;)

This particualr clamp only needed an extra half a turn or so, and all the others seemed OK. Thanks again chaps.

:blink:

Archived