SP1 wont start

vfr4

Life is never simple :D

I had the exhausts and panels off to do a trial fit of my new endurance fairing and ti exhaust. While the bike was stripped down I fitted a Durbahn Cable Clutch Conversion and tried to set it up, testing it by starting the bike on a centrestand and putting it in gear. I eventually figured out it was easier on the bike to put it in gear and move it around with the engine off to test the setup.

Then I put the original panels and exhaust back on (keeping the CCC) and tried to start it again; it turns over but wont start

Fresh Battery

All lights come on

Fuel pump does its thing when turned on

Kill switch is set to "run"

The connectors for the clutch switch are not plugged in but I should be able to start and rev up to 5k

Erm not sure whet else is important - let me know what I've missed

Many thanks in advance,

Allan

Is there a neutral position sensor that needs to be connected to anything ???

What about reading Durbahn's instalation insructions ???

you should be able to start it in neutral and rev it to the redline.is it making a spark?pull the plugs,any fuel in cylinders?is there a fault code flashing when you turn it on?

the clutch switch would only matter if you were trying to start it in gear. what about the tilt sensor?

I've tried shorting out the switch so I don't think its that.

I'll pull a plug out and check for a spark asap (not tonight though got a tracknight)

Didn't notice any fault codes but I'll check and confirm.

Thanks for the help!!

Al

the clutch switch would only matter if you were trying to start it in gear.

Obviously, you'll have more experience with an sp1 than me, but on my last 3 bikes I've found that none of them would even think about starting without the clutch switch being plugged in, no matter in gear or neutral.

I know my SV dosnt crank when the clutch isnt pulled in. I also know that my dads NC24 will crank all day long but wont fire for shit if the killswitch is "off"

I don't know either, except it seems to be a Suzuki thing.

No fault codes, plenty fuel, old clutch plugged back in made no difference.

Next step is to take off the tank, chase the sidestand switch wiring back and check that, then check for spark.

After that I'm all out of ideas :)

Thanks for the link I've used that site a few times!!!

Cheers,

Al

+1 for the clutch switch. Its there also as a fail-safe, incase you think the bike is in neutral when its actually in gear. Possibly also better to whip the clutch in when starting, so there is less load on the starter motor (dosnt have to turn the gearbox aswell)

I know my SV dosnt crank when the clutch isnt pulled in. I also know that my dads NC24 will crank all day long but wont fire for shit if the killswitch is "off"

I don't know either, except it seems to be a Suzuki thing.

Aye, I believe it's only Suzuki's that you have to pull the clutch lever in before the engine will even crank.

rhe side stand switch will only matter if you disconnect the clutch switch and try to start it in gear. have you checked the bank sensor. this will stop it running it is there to cut the fuel(i think)if you drop the bike. check the fuel pump is running.

Oh for crying out loud... :blush:

Well the good news is that it was fairly simple, the bad news is that I'm a tool of epic proportions :eusa_wall:

Did I mention that:

a) the bike has a power commander

b ) I fitted a lightweight battery while it was all stripped down

c) I FORGOT TO REATTACH THE POWER COMMANDER EARTH WIRE TO THE NEW BATTERY

The reason my bike would not start was, in fact, "C - forgot to attach earth wire" :thumbsup:

Many thanks to all who helped :pb2:

Sorry again for wasting everyone's time!!!

Cheers,

Al

Archived