Chain & sprockets for the R1

MonkeyJim

Righto chaps

Having recently fitted a new engine to the R1, I thought it was rather rapid compared to the old one & found the front sprocket is a 14T.

I've already got a 45T rear sprocket fitted - standard gearing for the early R1's is 16/43.

Now, the chain is still the original and has done upwards of 35k, though it still looks fine as it's had a scottoiler fitted since day 1

Due to the above mentioned scottoiler, I've never had to buy a chain before, so I'm after some advice from the PB massif, as follows:

• So.... any recommendations for a new chain? the OE one is a DID and has lasted very well, had no issues at all with it. Chain still looks fine, but I know the C&S should be replaced together.

and sprockets too? is 14T front too low? I only ask as I've read about <15T making the front chain run too tight. I'm thinking of going 15/45 as I'm after acceleration, rather than outright top speed

where's best for buying aforementioned chain and sprockets? I've heard only good things about B&C, but anyone got any other suggestions?

BTW I'll be sticking with 530 pitch and steel sprockets, none of that 520 and alloy nonsense. I'm not interested in saving x grammes.

any recommendations for a chain breaker/fitting tool? I've never done one before, but keen to fit one myself. I've had a look at the current [original] chain and can't see any links that are any different.

answers on a postcard to the usual address... ta muchly in advance

Don't really know about 14 tooth sprockets being too small or owt, but there must be a limit to how small you can go.

As for tools I just use a ball peen hammer and a block.

Ok if you are running a 45 rear I'd go back to a standard front else you'll be running seriously low gearing which on the road is not practicable IMO. Your speedo will be well out for example. I run a standard rear but -1 on the front on the road.

I'd not be going anywhere else but B&C. Speak to them on the phone and they'll be able to advise you on exactly what you need/want. A decent 530 o or x ring chain and Renthal non hard anodised sprockets too which are cheaper. Pesronally though I'd recommend the hard anodised ones. Worth the extra IMO.

HTH

Re: the sprockets...

-2 off the front is pretty severe. You'll be putting stress on the chain and it could let go which will be nasty, and will probably wreck the motor that you've just fitted. I'd go with trackdaybob's suggestion of no more than -1 off the front, but a standard front and +2 on the rear is a good compromise and won't unduly stress the chain. Any more than +2 might need extra links.

Re: B&C...

They're good. Very good. They know what they're talking about.

Re: chain tools...

You get what you pay for. Cheap chain splitter / rivetter will mostly bend the first time you use it. Stay away.

I personally hate the Motrax ones.

Whale brand chain tools are the biz. I have the universal rivetter, about £70 from B&C. They do a combination splitter/rivetter for about £100 but I use a slitting disc in my angle grinder to cut the fecker off. It will have paid for itself after a couple of times use :eusa_whistle:

Link to Whale chain tools.

15/45 nob on I reckon, 16/48 is the same and the sprockets will last longer, but you get less drive from the chain angle arrangement. Don't even contemplate a 14 front.

I'd go for a DID every time and +1 on the Whale tool.

All I know is you need a rivet type tool not a screw in because the 530 is to heavy for them.

Maybe think about a Supersprox rear if you don't want an alloy

15/45 nob on I reckon, 16/48 is the same and the sprockets will last longer, but you get less drive from the chain angle arrangement. Don't even contemplate a 14 front.

I'd go for a DID every time and +1 on the Whale tool.

I wouldn't normally go for a 14T front - it came with the engine - and the front chain run does look a bit tight.

I'm going for 15/45 and DID chain, will be speaking to B&C today.

Edit: Spoke to a mate last night who is a bike mechanic, he's getting the C&S at trade price and will fit it for me for £25, so it's a no branier.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just fitted a 15 front and 45 rear to my 4XV and love it! Bit frantic at higher speeds but the wheelies in 2nd and 3rd plus I can now use 6th gear properly, more than make up for it.

Archived