V-Twin Engine

fran9r

I'm trying to think what would be a good V-twin to chuck in a classic frame I have. I've thought about a BMW or a Guzzi engine, but I'm not convinced. I'm aiming for 50 BHP, as it's not going to be used for going fast -general cruising and so on. Cheap would be good, so that rules out Tractor stuff.

I'm not fussed at either a shaft or chain drive, although chain may be easier. As it's going to be exposed, an air cooled lump would be good.

Any ideas?

I bet you could get a virago lump for about 16p. Although I'd avoid the 535 as a 16p engine would be about 15p too much, the 750 would do the trick I'd have thought.

I've just had a think about what I've just wrote. Now what the fuck am I doing recommending a virago engine to anybody for doing anything? Surely, somebody please, there has to be something better. What's the MT-01 eninge found in?

I bet you could get a virago lump for about 16p. Although I'd avoid the 535 as a 16p engine would be about 15p too much, the 750 would do the trick I'd have thought.

I had looked at a 535 engine...but yes, I would prefer 50 bhp. The 1100 looks like a big lump, but the 750 I'd not considered.

To be honest the custom bikes arn't something I know a lot about...hence the question. It would be great to get a running bike, then transplant bits...

I had looked at a 535 engine...but yes, I would prefer 50 bhp. The 1100 looks like a big lump, but the 750 I'd not considered.

To be honest the custom bikes arn't something I know a lot about...hence the question. It would be great to get a running bike, then transplant bits...

Are there any of the old GL1000 engines kicking about? Or are they too pricey?

What about a Guzzi Nuovo Falcone?

Or better still, one of those 650cc chinese v-twins?

Early ducati monster engine?

Bingo! Found in a load of ducatis too, SS's, pantahs, many different sizes to suit all tastes. Some have things like chrome belt covers etc, all sound great.

In a featherbed frame they look awesome too:

20836_400838430825_661370825_4914939_1028276_n.jpg

TRX850 or TDM motor?

I'm thinking of a TRX based Cafe Racer at the moment. Trellis frame, 850cc parallel (with firing intervals like a twin) and you can pick up a snotter TRX to start with cheap.

Are there any of the old GL1000 engines kicking about? Or are they too pricey?

What about a Guzzi Nuovo Falcone?

Or better still, one of those 650cc chinese v-twins?

GL 4 cylinder...would look cool to be honest, but I'm not 100%. There is one on ebay...

Guzzi thing has classic status itself, and is 25 bhp. Thats a but too steady for a classic, and I get the impression another engine would cost.

A search for 650 engines produced no chinese thinggies...the engine list does make me wonder how I could hide a radiator though!

Early ducati monster engine?

Bingo! Found in a load of ducatis too, SS's, pantahs, many different sizes to suit all tastes. Some have things like chrome belt covers etc, all sound great.

In a featherbed frame they look awesome too:

20836_400838430825_661370825_4914939_1028276_n.jpg

Nail and head. Now for the cheap bit...would sound the best too.

TRX850 or TDM motor?

David's bike sounds cool, but the idea would be at odds with my frame.

what about something like a bros or an african twin? would a v4 be any good as i might be able to locate one on the cheap! its a 750 i think, contemplating using it in a chopper.

what about something like a bros or an african twin? would a v4 be any good as i might be able to locate one on the cheap! its a 750 i think, contemplating using it in a chopper.

Are they air cooled? I did look at the shape of them on ebay, definately a maybe.

Is the v4 a VFR? I'd have 2 cylinders at the front, and the frame design would make that difficult. It's really a single or a twin, so a custom engine is making sense (v-twin, low power torquey thing). If it had spoked wheels I might be able to nick the wheels and front end too!

The problem with custom bike things, apart from the fact they're a bit shit, is they tend to hold their value. They're popular with short people and bank managers.

Get a big, air-cooled traillie and take what you want off that (21" front and 18" rears are cool on bobbers) then sell the rest :eusa_whistle:

and TRX/TDM engines look crap in anything that exposes the lump- downdraft carbs don't look right on a bike that just doffs around.

Both water cooled.

Agreed they are a bit shit. I was hoping if the engine has been atacked by winter, I can nab it for a bargin price. Hopefully...

If there is something with a spoked disc fitment hub, I'll have that. If it's the wrong size I'll build it with a different rim.

I've plenty of time due to other (growing list of) projects, although I'd like a list of possibilities so I can keep an eye out for a bargin.

Well silly ideas are definately the best, so I think I'll have a look at ideas for incorporating a radiator in some way.

I'll collect my frame then see what I can ram in. I have a big hammer...

Archived