oil filter fitting

Dan

Just changed the oil and filter on my gsxr today, but in the back of my mind its bugging me if i have done the oil filter up tight enough

I basically tightned it up by hand then gave it a quick couple of twists with a socket, which is what i always thought was the right thing to do...

So how do you know when its on tight enough???

I always give the rubber a smear of new oil and do it up as tight as possible but only by hand IYSWIM, never had one leak on a car or bike.

Just changed the oil and filter on my gsxr today, but in the back of my mind its bugging me if i have done the oil filter up tight enough

I basically tightned it up by hand then gave it a quick couple of twists with a socket, which is what i always thought was the right thing to do...

Is there a torque spec in the manual, my Viffer is 19lb/ft. On the other hand I have never had a hand tight one loosen off but have heard of loads of monkey tight ones being permanently attached.

Like those above, always done them up by hand as tight as possible... and touch wood, never had an issue on multiple cars/vans or the bike so far.

cheers for that, i bought a hex shape thing which fits over the filter,got a torque wrench for the sump plug its about 23nm according to the guy at the dealers...

got a oil catch jug thing from halfords to go under the sump plug, and its the biggest pile of crap i have ever bought the thing is just not big enough the oil comes out the engine much quicker than it can go into the catch tank,resulting in a puddle of hot oil all over my garage floor!!!!

got a oil catch jug thing from halfords to go under the sump plug, and its the biggest pile of crap i have ever bought the thing is just not big enough the oil comes out the engine much quicker than it can go into the catch tank,resulting in a puddle of hot oil all over my garage floor!!!!

Could be worse. Could be all over the parents freshly re-surfaced driveway. Erm... :icon_blackeye:

Possible to make drain hole bigger and find a suitable plug for said hole?

Equally possible the product was cack. I worked for Halfords for number of years. Ahem.

I use an old washing up bowl for the oil, works well easy to clean etc.

I then empty it into a 20Ltr bottle.

If you are worried about the filter coming undone get a big jubilee clip.

Fasten it around the filter with the "nub" butting up against the crankcase so that it won't come off.

Before fitting the new filter fill it with oil and let it stand upright for half an hour before screwing it on. Hand tight + 1/4 turn usually does the trick. With a prefilled filter oils pressure builds up quicker, less engine wear.

Not sure which GSXR you have but on my K6 750 you turn the filter 2 full turns once the seal has made contact with the engine boss.

I use an old washing up bowl for the oil, works well easy to clean etc.

I then empty it into a 20Ltr bottle.

Same sort of thing here. I use a cat litter tray as its big enough to be under both the sump plug and the oil filter at the same time, then decant it into a suitably sized container afterwards.

I keep an old oil container or two and cut a square out of one side for a catch tank. Also tighten up by hand with a smear of oil and never had leaks. a big container in the corner of the garage means a trip to the dump occasionally instead of after every oil change.

Archived