Front end Patter - ZX10R C1

Taqman

Hi All,

Advice sought.

At a recent day at Mallory on my (new to me) ZX10R I had an interesting development.

When going around Gerrard's at a decent lick it was all ok until just before the new chicane bit (about 2/3ds) round - gently building speed for the exit when the front starts to 'patter' - feels like the tyre's slipping sideways minutely or the suspension is doing something weird. It was sufficient to stop me going any faster and my mate ride around the outside of me..... :icon_salut:

The bike has 95 springs 110mm airgap 7.5wt oil, tyres are D209GP at 30psi cold 36 hot. sag is 30mm

Rear the bike has a Maxton with settings as advised by them.

Anyone else had this or something similar?

Cheers

Taq

The tyre doesn't look too bad to me? Like Trig says, 30psi hot would be a better pressure to run.

Have a look at the link on this thread to help you read what the tyres are doing.

http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17626

Was the patter evident in both the left and right of Edwinas? Did it happen at the Bus Stop and Devils Elbow as well? I'm trying to ascertain if the problem is limited to left handers (i.e. cold tyre) Do you use tyre warmers? Map of the circuit below.

http://www.mallorypark.co.uk/Circuit_Map

I'm no use on suspension settings I'm afraid. I've got a copy of the PB setup guide as a PDF, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you if you like.

For the ZX10R it says

Front compression - 7 clicks out from fully in

Front rebound - 2 clicks out from fully in

Front preload - 8 rings showing

Rear compression - 4 turns out from fully in

Rear rebound - 1.25 turns out from fully in

Rear preload - 178mm spring length

Try PM'ing Stubbsy, he runs a trackday ZX10R, and he understands suspension better than I do!

The tyre doesn't look too bad to me? Like Trig says, 30psi hot would be a better pressure to run.

Have a look at the link on this thread to help you read what the tyres are doing.

http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17626

Was the patter evident in both the left and right of Edwinas? Did it happen at the Bus Stop and Devils Elbow as well? I'm trying to ascertain if the problem is limited to left handers (i.e. cold tyre) Do you use tyre warmers? Map of the circuit below.

http://www.mallorypark.co.uk/Circuit_Map

I'm no use on suspension settings I'm afraid. I've got a copy of the PB setup guide as a PDF, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you if you like.

For the ZX10R it says

Front compression - 7 clicks out from fully in

Front rebound - 2 clicks out from fully in

Front preload - 8 rings showing

Rear compression - 4 turns out from fully in

Rear rebound - 1.25 turns out from fully in

Rear preload - 178mm spring length

Try PM'ing Stubbsy, he runs a trackday ZX10R, and he understands suspension better than I do!

Only had the problem in the last 1/3 of Gerrards - it might just be that the tyre was getting too hot in the sustained long right that is Gerrards.

I'll drop the front pressure a bit - I'm at Snetterton on Monday so I'll see if it does it in Coram too.

Cheers

Taq

Are they running the chicane on trackdays now then around Gerrards? Last time I was there in 2008 it wasn't there, I'm going back next month and was hoping that it wouldnt be there... chicanes suck ass.

Are they running the chicane on trackdays now then around Gerrards? Last time I was there in 2008 it wasn't there, I'm going back next month and was hoping that it wouldnt be there... chicanes suck ass.

No you don't use the new chicane in the middle of Gerrards on a trackday - or at least we didn't and I haven't heard of anyone other than racers using it.

Have fun

Taq

Archived