GSXR 750 K3 Gearbox problem

Castrol_Fidelity

Recently bought a GSXR 750 K3 , was/is in mint condition with only 7k (now 8.3k) on the clock.

Always had a problem selecting 6th gear especially when givin it a handful , and tbh I'm normally pretty good at jamming it right in without any probs. Today coming home from work I pulled out to overtake a few motors , 3rd , 4th , 5th then crunch , eased of the throttle and was OK , gave it laldy and crunch skip rattle , not good , sounds and feels as though 6th gear is rather poorly. :D

I'm totally gutted , anyone got any ideas/info ?? Can I get into the gearbox without dropping the engine from the frame?? I thought a Suzuki mill was bulletproof , and for such a low milage bike ???

I am actually close to tears as I print this , I only wanted to spend £2k on an old R1 but the offer of this came along for £3200 and I just had to buy it after seeing the condition etc , I'm now bloody skint though so how much is this gonna cost to put right if I take it to a shop??? :eusa_think:

cheers

Cas

Are you sure the gear is fucked and its not just a gear selection issue?

I only ask as the Y model I had had a known (but not widely publicised) gearbox selection fault whereby it got steadily more difficult to engage certain gears until they stopped selecting altogether - it was a reasonably cheap fix (well it was free for me as mine went after about 5 months of ownership) and I think a few later models had a similar fault with the selectors.

:eusa_think:

Not sure if it's a selector prob mate , definately no drive at all and yes it does sound like the gears are toiling to mesh correctly , crunching sound is worse with higher revs and you can feel it through the gear lever.

Should I drop the oil and see if there are any "bits" in it ?? What kinda oil for a GSXR ?? The cheaper the better for now anyway.

Cas

Should I drop the oil and see if there are any "bits" in it ?? What kinda oil for a GSXR ?? The cheaper the better for now anyway.

won't hurt to drop the oil to have a look, as you'll have to do that anyway if you want to do any further work on the engine.

Unfortunately, you will probably have to drop the motor out to get to the gearbox.

But - as Dave suggests - it might be a gear selection problem rather than the gearbox itself. You might be able to access the gear selection mechanism with the engine still in the frame. Worth checking.

suggest you get your hands on a workshop manual for the bike - either from the internets or a trusty Haynes manual or similar.

Zakalwe , a pdf manual would be really appreciated , yer a star.

Alpinestarshero , no probs with any other gears , only noticed the problem starting a few weeks ago on upshift to sixth only , I think/hope.

Cas

Archived