Triumph Daytona 955i Fuel Tank

jezz

Title says it all....

What is the fuel tank made of on the 955i's? is it steel, ally, plastic, or fibreglass? I want to 'tweek' the shape a bit (when I get hold of one).... :thumbsup:

Mosty people call them plastic on the Triumph forums, I've a paint chip on mine and it does look like white plastic, no weave or fibres showing like on a fibreglass tank.

It won't be fibreglass, those tanks were outlawed in the '60s ('50s possbly?) after a series of Guy Martin-esque crashes. Fibreglass pattern tanks were popular with the cafe racers of the day.

It won't be fibreglass, those tanks were outlawed in the '60s ('50s possbly?) after a series of Guy Martin-esque crashes. Fibreglass pattern tanks were popular with the cafe racers of the day.

I agree it won't be fibreglass, but outlawed?

ABS?

Yup, as far as I know... T'is the same 'plastic' that's used on the RS250* as well.

G

*They're manufactured by Acerbis of all people.

• 1 month later...
cool, that means if i buy one i can strip a bit of it to have a fuel "gauge"

I don't think it is exactly see through once you ditch the paint. It is made of the purest unobtanium, fashioned by hand by bare breasted brazillian maidens(this could be cigars and not Daytona fuel tanks...)

Most definitely ABS, you can get hold of ally ones, however they are incredibly rare and rather pricey...

Archived