Anyone got any ideas

gregtrx

Hi all, I can't get my little honda cb250rs to start. Last time I rode it was a couple of weeks ago, lovely ride on little lanes in the sunshine. It did cut out a couple of times when riding but I didn't think much of it as it always started again. I got home, parked up and left it as it rained the next couple of days. Now the bike won't start. Charge in the battery, it won't kick or bump (no leccy boot), I've swapped the carb, spark plug and ht lead. The plug gets wet so I'm pretty sure it's getting fuel. I'm struggling to check for a spark as when I kick it I can't see a thing. The ignition switch and kill switch are both working as they should, shorting the cdi out when off, open when on (it floats, no live feed on this). I bought a new ignition coil but it's the wrong type and I'm loathe to spend any more money swapping bits. Lights, horn etc all still work fine.

I think I'm going to have to take it to a shop, if there's one near me (Whitchurch, Shropshire or Wrexham) which can cope with old shitters. Anyone got any recommendations? I'd rather not pay 4 hours labour to some monkey who then tells me it's "Knackered" or some other bollocks but I'm missing the summer here.

Tony Moss (Motorcycles) in Wem is worth a try Greg, even just to get some ideas off him. He (or his lad) will have a go at anything.

Cheers mate, they are not far from me so that would be good. I've been meaning to pop for ages.

A can of easy start is a pretty good way of diagnosing if it's leccy of fuel, although I'd be putting money on it being leccy. To check for a spark while being on your own, simply insert the plug into an orifice, any will do, then give it a kick over. If you wake up 3m away from the bike, then you've got a decent enough spark. HTH.

Archived