04 blade blowing head gasket

natterjacks

A mate of mine has a 2004 cbr1000rr that keeps blowing the head gasket. He's had the pressure in the block checked and this seems fine. He reckons it has something to do with a backfire in the airbox or something.

The bikes done 34k kms (about 20k miles) and blows the gasket everytime you give it some revs.

The honda garage has never seen anything like this before and were pretty useless to be honest.

Has anyone experienced the same issue or have any ideas what this could be?

Cheers!

this is deffo the head gasket & not the cam-cover gasket we're talking about?

just done a bit of research, and if it were the cam-cover "half-moon" gasket that keeps popping, then its an electrical issue that is igniting oil vapour in the engine, and popping the "half-moon" rubber on the cam-cover.

i had a head-gasket go on the 916 (surprise!), and that was replaced by an upgraded gasket to stop it happening again. I take it your mates bike has had all/any recalls attended to?

good luck with it.

just done a bit of research, and if it were the cam-cover "half-moon" gasket that keeps popping, then its an electrical issue that is igniting oil vapour in the engine, and popping the "half-moon" rubber on the cam-cover.

i had a head-gasket go on the 916 (surprise!), and that was replaced by an upgraded gasket to stop it happening again. I take it your mates bike has had all/any recalls attended to?

good luck with it.

Just gave him a call and you're right, it's not the head gasket, it's the rubber cam-cover gasket.

What sort of electrical issue could cause this?

As far as recalls goes, not sure, will have to check which recalls apply first.

Thanks for your help!!

good luck with it.

Think I've found the problem over on 1000rr.net:

Ok, they checked my pressure relief valve and it was ok. They figured out the problem after talking w/honda. The stator was bad and was creating an electrical arc to the flywheel which was ingniting the crankcase gases and building up enough pressure to blow the valve cover gasket. Check your stator. Mine was all black. A new oem one is $245, but a new aftermarket one from electrosport is $139 w/ a 1 year warranty. Hope this helps anyone experiencing the same problem.

Thanks loads, put me on the right track!!

The '04 blades were subject to a recall for the stator (all made from April 7th 2004 ~ January 16th 2006). Some 4000 bikes were affected, but I thought that all the affected bikes were Japanese or American market only. Is the bike a Yank import?

There was no recall in the UK, or in Europe AFAIK.

I know that the Yank blades also got an extended warranty on the stator...details here

Thanks!

It's a european bike (I think, but will ask him to check the VIN to be sure), but the second 04 blade I know of with a stator problem (just didn't expect this issue to be down to the stator). Spoke to Ten Kate yesterday (local honda dealer :icon_bounce: ) and they had never heard of this problem.

I'm told it isnt unknown by a honda mechanic-also they said they would replace the stator under warranty-phone a few honda dealers

Archived