Sealing or finishing garage floors

DocJohn

Now then - the floors are going in the new uber-garage over the next few days.

Has anyone any experience/tips on finishing and sealing them?

Anything work particularly well or indeed badly...?

I've see there are a few "curing/sealing" compounds have appeared on the market - anyone used these on new concrete - I'd be particularly interested to see how these perform as it could avoid the 28 day wait to seal new concrete in the traditional manner

Cheers

:eusa_think:

-John

When we had a new slab poured, I waited a couple of weeks to ensure that it was dry enough to coat. I used bog standard garage floor sealant from B&Q. It has worked very well so far. I just used a roller to apply it, though I think your floor area is going to be a bit bigger than mine was. So I suppose spraying it might be an option.

It is worth it though. We get no concrete dust at all, whereas a friend of mine who didn't bother has no end of dust problems.

All I did was to sweep the concrete and then roll the stuff on. It was virtually idiot proof.

friend of mine has use a fiberglass resin based floor leveler/sealent which is a nice solid virtually indestructable surface, you can jack cars on it and its fine, doesn't absorb liquids and cleans up a treat, wasn't expensive and im going to use it purely for the fact that it cleans up so well.

I've sealed a warehouse floor before, and would recommend a broom to apply the stuff to large areas.

Tip it on the floor, and brush it all over.....

When we had a new slab poured, I waited a couple of weeks to ensure that it was dry enough to coat. I used bog standard garage floor sealant from B&Q. It has worked very well so far. I just used a roller to apply it, though I think your floor area is going to be a bit bigger than mine was. So I suppose spraying it might be an option.

It is worth it though. We get no concrete dust at all, whereas a friend of mine who didn't bother has no end of dust problems.

All I did was to sweep the concrete and then roll the stuff on. It was virtually idiot proof.

+1 for regular garage floor sealant paint from B&Q or similar.

used it on a previous garage and it was great, lasted years with no problems. Brilliant, no dust.

B&Q floor sealant is good, not had any problems with it, but the garage floor paint lifts with spilt brake fluid.

I screeded my old crumbly garage floor and sealed it with a couple of coats of tile primer. I used Johnstone's floor paint over the primer. It's done well for 10 years but has worn in places and a few small patches lifted, nothing a fresh coat won't cure but it's one of those jobs I keep putting off.

Both bikes get parked on cardboard now as I noticed some of the paint sticking to hot tyres. Apparently this doesn't happen with resin-based floor paint.

I'm about to get rid of the old banger of a MGBGT in my garage and want to paint the floor.

Unfortunately the car has dripped oil onto the floor over the last 12 years so I have a patch of oily concrete the size of a opened out newspaper right in the middle of the floor.

Any suggestions for how to treat this before painting/sealing

Cheers

Taq

Both bikes get parked on cardboard now as I noticed some of the paint sticking to hot tyres.

Yep, same here mate. ;) well, I use bits of carpet.

I'm about to get rid of the old banger of a MGBGT in my garage and want to paint the floor.

Unfortunately the car has dripped oil onto the floor over the last 12 years so I have a patch of oily concrete the size of a opened out newspaper right in the middle of the floor.

Any suggestions for how to treat this before painting/sealing

Cheers

Taq

thing to do is find a company that supplys to the trade near you and ask them i have used stuff before with varying degree's of success. problem is anything you use will be oil based and will probebly thin the existing oil out and then spread it. other than that its a case of soap and a pressure steamer not a pressure washer you want one that heats up the water before it fires it out so it lifts the oil. thats about my best guess with that one. hope it helps.

You can use a driveway cleaner to get the oil up.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/95634/Paint/...crete-Seal-5Ltr

You can get this from screwfix .... touch dry in 1 Hour.

Wait till the conc has dried out properly, it only needs to dry once and it will down for years.

Try using Floatex Carpet as a finsh. You need to stick it down but I laid it loose in my garage. It's a "tufted vinyl" so you can clean it easily.

Archived