SRAD 750 front end help needed

V6Jon

In my very slow project to rescue an SRAD, I am in the midst of pulling the entire front end of it to change the head bearings, rebuild forks and generally un-streetfighter it, and I have a couple of questions for you knowledgable types.

Firstly, I have stripped off the master cylinder, hoses and the stock six pot calipers to find the master cylinder needs rebuilding and there is corrosion on a number of the brake pistons, though the caliper bodies seem in pretty good nick. I already have new discs and Hel lines to go on, but want to make sure I end up with the decent brakes at the end of this, so should I just re-build the stock master cylinder and Tokicos with all new seals and pistons as necessary ?

Or do I look to upgrade the master cylinder, and replace the calipers (SRAD 600 calipers appear to be the done thing)

Please bear in mind I am both tight and skint !!

And secondly, to do the head bearings and swap the LSL top yoke for standard I am using an Abba stand, but still need to support the front end, am I ok putting blocks / wood under the sump (all the weight will be on the drain bolt), or do I need to support it some other way (rope from ceiling joists through the ram air holes in the frame) ?

Thanks guys

The Abba stand is taking most of the weight, as I can lift the front wheel off the deck with one hand !

My first thought was still not to rest it on the sump plug (just didn't seem right) however the sump itself is a steep V shape down to the plug, and the headers are already in the 'going on e-bay' pile in the corner !

Will see if I can find something to use to support it from above.

I've got a set of standard headers and silencer for a 1996 SRAD 750 if your interested.

Both like new. No rust or damage or bits missing etc...

When i took the front end off mine, i just looped a big bit of rope round the bike and hung it off the beam in my parents garage. Worked a treat, but i did put the back end on a paddock stand to stop lateral movement.

As far as the 6 pots go, i dont mind them at all. Mine have braided hoses and EBC HH Sintered pads, and stop me plenty fast enough.

The actual braking power of the 6 pots is OK, decent pads etc should do the trick, but the feel I've found leaves something to be desired. personally, I'd let your wallet do the decision making: I'd bet you can get a late zx6r master cylinder and a set of 4 pot calipers (nissins off an earlier gsxr I'd go for over the srad 600 tokicos, but that might be just me) for only a couple of quid more than buying a full set of pistons and seals for the 6 pots, plus you'll have the rebuild of the master cylinder on top. So long as you get a fairly recent master cylinder (05 or something) and make sure that the brake calipers are tidy before you buy them, I'd be all over the 4 pots. Obviously, it's all about personal taste, but I much prefer the 4 pots, and from what I've read on here, it seems to be 2 camps: Those that love the 4 pots and those that think the 6's are OK. I don't think that there's many people who've gone back to 6 pots after using the 4's.

The Abba stand is taking most of the weight, as I can lift the front wheel off the deck with one hand !

My first thought was still not to rest it on the sump plug (just didn't seem right) however the sump itself is a steep V shape down to the plug, and the headers are already in the 'going on e-bay' pile in the corner !

Will see if I can find something to use to support it from above.

Cut a bit of wood to suit the V of the sump ?

Archived