mineral oil. Would ya do ya use it?

fastfox

Having a interesting discussion on another site about oils. I always go for a decent semi synth. Never go for a fully synth cos of horror stores about clutch slip. One dude says he uses mineral oil in both his race bike and his road bike.

For me i`d never use mineral oil. i dont believe its good enough for modern high revving motors. Just wondering what peeps attitude to mineral oil on here

Mineral oil for running in a motor yea. Maybe use it on a low-power engine like a CG125. I will not stick in anything less than semi synth in even my SV, which currently keeps lubricated by fully synth (new clutch in it, so shouldnt be messed up by fully synth oil...TBH so long as the oil comforms to JASO standards then it should not cause clutch slip - if it does, the clutch is probably on its way out anyway)

Oils do more than just lubricate; they clean, suspend miniscule particulates and help keep the engine cool...and the better quality the oil, the better it is able to do that. Generally, semi synth is better quality oil than mineral, and fully synth is better again.

I've used mineral oil on both GS' I've owned, as it's the best for them. It runs seperate gearbox oil. Cheap stuff from local car place, designed for classic cars, changed every 12k. Job's a good 'un.

Fully synth car oils will cause clutch slip because of the friction modifiers in them. A fully synth bike oil should not.

The oils are blended but the 'synthetic' content is largely down to molecule size. Think of marbles being poured down a funnel. If they are all different sizes you'll get a very irregular stop-start flow. If they are all exactly the same size (fully synth) the flow is more consistent and controlled.

Archived