Air Conditioning

Dom

Chaps,

the air con on my 2002 Ford Focus hasn't been working for about 12 months and as the weather is picking up I decided to have someone take a look.

The garage said that they've filled it with gas and it is holding the charge but the compressor isn't kicking in. The compressor is getting power but isn't working, so, they quoted new compressor and labour is £750!!! To be frank the car is only worth about £2k and there is no was I'm paying that, but are they trying to have me over? Looking on ebay I can get a compressor for about £50 so is this something I could do myself? Or just buy the compressor and take it to a garage to be fitted?

What do we think? I fucking LOVE aircon but £750 takes the piss, plus he said that "might not be the problem". FUCK. THAT.

I will watch this with interest, my car has gone in to be re-gassed today, have funny feeling may get the same diagnosis..........

you sould run up you aie con evey week to oil the seals up,as thay dry out and then leek,use to do car air con meny years ago.hope this helps.

could you fit it yourself? or get the correct compressor for you car and then ask them how much it would cost with just the labour if you supply the parts

This sounds more like an electrical problem. The compressor won't kick in unless the minimum pressure switch closes. Have they checked that the pressure switch closes? Have the tested the magnetic clutch by supplying it with 12 volts and see if the clutch pulls in? I'd make sure that all the ancillary stuff is checked first before I'd change the compressor.

Depending on how easy it is to get to, changing the compressor is not that difficult. Maybe 3-4 hours of work? If you go down that road, have the garage remove the freon, i.e. empty the system. Then change the compressor, and go back to get it gassed up.

Have the tested the magnetic clutch by supplying it with 12 volts and see if the clutch pulls in?

Ooooh. Project thoughts swilling about...how big (generally) are the magnetic clutches, and what sort of power could they transmit?

Says something like this in the manual for my other halfs car, now you've said it i'll make sure she does it. Should it be on full blast or just on?

usualy run it up for 10 mins will do :thumbsup:

Firstly, make sure the compressor clutch is working (check that that the compressor pulley turns when the air con. is switched on). If not, check for power at the compressor itself. Get a 55W head light/driving light bulb and connect it between the feed to the compressor clutch and earth (the feed is usually only one wire going to the compressor). If it lights up, and remains lit while the air con. is switched to on, your problem is with the clutch. This can usually be changed without replacing the compressor and can probably be done at home although you may have to remove the compressor and, if you were to do so, should slowly release the gas to atmosphere. (If you decide to release the gas to atmosphere, that is your choice and is obviously illegal). Once fitted, the air con. can be re-gassed at a garage.

Feel free to ask any questions if you're not sure.

you sould run up you aie con evey week to oil the seals up,as thay dry out and then leek,use to do car air con meny years ago.hope this helps.
Most cars do it automatically these days, when you use reverse gear.

Most cars do it automatically these days, when you use reverse gear.

Do they? Ive never heard or that before. In my owners manual it advises to run the A/C for 15 mins every month to keep it happy and leak free. I use it in the winter to clear the screen if its steamed up inside.

Do they? Ive never heard or that before. In my owners manual it advises to run the A/C for 15 mins every month to keep it happy and leak free. I use it in the winter to clear the screen if its steamed up inside.

Me neither. I'll try it out on the Toyotas at work tomorrow.

Archived