Fuel additives

szrdave

If I leave the SZR standing for any period of time water gathers in the bottom of the tank and it runs really badly. Apparently the carb design which uses one small float bowl for the pair exacerbates the problem, which is one of the reasons I'll be changing the carbs soon-ish.

In the mean time any recommendations for a fuel additive? As the bike is pretty much unrideable at the moment having stood for about a month :icon_salut:

I use a splash of this in my Fazer when it's laid-up over the Winter. I think it works as I've never encountered a problem with water in the fuel. Do you keep your bike outside without a cover over it?

You can still get water in your fuel if you've got a garage that gets hot and cold easily, just from condensation. Not enough to affect the runnning of your bike by a huge amount, but certainly enough for you to notice an occasional cough and hiccup.

Quick tip: Brim your tank if you're leaving the bike standing for any length of time.

A full tank leaves less exposed metal for condensation to form on.

Don't laugh, but when I was dodgin' around the dealerships, I used to use 'Tractor Davidson Winter Fuel Treatment' when the bike(s) were laid up over the winter.

I'm not entirely sure what it was made from/with, but it seemed to do the trick...

Although, I did get told to just keep the tank brimmed (as has been mentioned above), but drain the float bowl (not exactly a option these days if you've got fuel injection), if the bike was to stand for any length of time.

Silkolene Pro FST is the business - I've used that with no worries what so ever.

Motul's 'Fuel Treatment' is a (somewhat expensive) alternative, but seems to be more readily available (e.g. Hein Gericke)

G

Being the owner of a ZX-9R, and having encountered the full effects of horrific carb icing, I use Surgical spirit at 1% - cures carb icing, so would imagine it would do the job with water in the tank.

Mucho cheaper than the silkolene stuff, as is IPA (not Greene King stuff)

It sounds like any one of the winter fuel treatments would be worth a go, I'll pick something up today.

I'm pretty sure the cap doesn't leak as the seals are good and the problem happens after sudden temperature changes more than rain. I wonder if having a plastic tank has anything to do with it?

It sounds like any one of the winter fuel treatments would be worth a go, I'll pick something up today.

I'm pretty sure the cap doesn't leak as the seals are good and the problem happens after sudden temperature changes more than rain. I wonder if having a plastic tank has anything to do with it?

I would've thought even more so with a plastic tank, especially if there is already water in it. I think I'd be inclined to drain it, dry it, and brim it with fresh fuel.

Look on the bright side... at least it won't rot from the inside out :thumbsup:

'Snip'... I think I'd be inclined to drain it, dry it, and brim it with fresh fuel.

I've done this before and it's the best way to do it, but a pain in the arse. Especially when the tank is almost full!

Methylated spirits absorbs water and also burns, so a litre or so of this in your tank will help out.

^ This worked!! Thanks for the suggestion Matt :icon_blackeye:

All the places I tried locally either didn't stock the Pro FST, had run out, or weren't open. In the end I got a bottle of methylated spirits and added a splash to the tank. The bike ran slightly better so I added some more. It was then pretty much ride-able again, but with a heavy stutter if the throttle was wound open.

I emptied the rest of the bottle in and went for a spin down to Box Hill, problem solved!

I'll go for a spin tomorrow then fill the tank up with fresh fuel :beerchug:

Archived