Advice for a smoker newbie(ish)

Majik

Hi fellas. My first foray into the stinkwheel zone here on PB, due to a matey of mine giving me a blast out on his (almost stock) X7 some weeks ago, and I've just about managed to wipe the giggle off my face now. In my search for a bargain (I, like most other taxpayers who work, am skint) I have stumbled across a local-ish rd350ypvs which I'll be going to look at next weekend. Now, I haven't owned a 2 stroke since my mighty rg125 Gamma which took me to Sheffield and back every second weekend for a year odd (bloody women...) and so could do with some buying advice really from the resident wise men.

He's sent me some pics (see below) which have raised an eyebrow or two (risers? mismatched fairings?) but I'm hoping any eagle eyes out there will be able to give me some more ammunition/advice before I arrive on his doorstep to make a ridiculously low offer. It's a project, and hasn't run for a few years it seems. Is it an F1? F2? (He hasn't told me the year yet). Can I whip the full fairing off and slot one of those gorgeous bikini fairing and bellypans on? He's looking for 600-700, which seems keen at best...

http://goose.majikal.co.uk/images/rd350/1.jpg

http://goose.majikal.co.uk/images/rd350/2.jpg

http://goose.majikal.co.uk/images/rd350/3.jpg

http://goose.majikal.co.uk/images/rd350/4.jpg

http://goose.majikal.co.uk/images/rd350/5.jpg

http://goose.majikal.co.uk/images/rd350/6.jpg

And is there a buyers guide anywhere? I would've thought it'd be easy to grab one online, but I'm buggered if I can see one. Just something for me to digest so I can vaguely look like I know what bits go wrong etc. I'm not a total mechanical luddite, by the way - just like to gain knowledge BEFORE buying the latest in a long line of awful projects...

To me, and i'm not a YPVS expert by any stretch, looks like a the early YPVS that had the belly pan and bikini fairing fitted, just looks like a F2 YPVS fairing has been dropped on later.

Looks as though it's spent some time outside though, so expect issues and the photos make it look poor.

I wouldn't be expecting to ride it right away by the looks of it, i don't know if that s what you want to do right now, or a ride and restore job?

Go expecting the worse, see if it starts easily, check the gearbox oil for water, check the water for oil, make sure it's not warm when you get there, this usually indactes that the seller is trying to cover something.

Headbearings, these bikes like to have been wheelied, check for play.

Swingarm play too, fork seals, just the stuff you'd look for in any other bike.

Parts can be expensive if you need them, as everybody and his dog will be on the look out for those elusive parts too.

If there are alot of key parts missing i would be a bit wary of buying because of the above point.

£700 is a decent enough price for a YPVS, but you know what you can afford, might even be worth buying just to break it up for parts itself.

If you want a running stroker, set your budget to £1500 and keep your eyes peeled for a early RGV or NSR 250, they are about, i saw a nice RGV 250 L model go for just over £1200 last week.

Hi.

By the looks of the colour scheme, its an F model, with a different colour fairing fitted. I THINK its an F1, but couldn't say for sure without dragging out my old PB's. Looking at the state of it, I wouldn't be happy paying much more than half the asking price! It will need a rebuild.

Fitting a bikini fairing & belly pan shouldn't be a problem, but you will need the mounting bracket to suit the fairing, and make up a mounting kit for the belly pan.

Make sure the YPVS servo opens & closes when the ignition is first switched on (you should be able to hear it), if it doesn't, the servo motor may be knackered, or the power valves seized.

It will be alot of fun, but alot of work first!!

:)

CHeers guys. I'm not looking to jump on and ride away, but I'm sick of buying projects that I have to spend money, rather than time and skill on. I'm pleased it looks like it could be an original bikini fairing model. Is there a good RD forum or club out there I can cross check frame numbers with models?

http://www.lcclub.co.uk/

Its deffo not an F2. It has the same colour scheme as the F1 tested in PB, september 1985, except the YPVS logo on the tail piece, the F1 logo was blue. I cant find any pic's of the LCII (original YPVS), so cant compare the colours. Try emailing the LC club.

assuming the top yoke/bars are std then its a 31k or lc2 (same thing). the most desoirable of the ypvs bunch. good bikes can fetch 3k plus!! that however will need work. check for centre stand,numberplate holder/rear mudguard ect is untouched and you could have some valuable bits. pay as little as you can, check for anything fundamental ie anything engine related. if the ypvs works ill be amazed, ill be wanting to know were he got his battery from!! take a good battery to test. most parts are interchangeable with the later less sought after f2 so if the ypvs is duff its not the end off the world. i have some spares for sale. things like head bearing are more thsan likely knackered on a bike like the lc, a wanabe stuntmans hack of choice. swingarm bushes are prone to seizing up. the swingarm has a grease nipple beleive it or not!! the only part on a ypvs you can count on never been abused/touched!! how many hooligans from back in the day would have even considered checking such paltry things as swingarm bushes/head bearings ect???? if she runs and sounds ok ie no rattles (except clutch, they all do it) then grab it. the clutch noise should go away when the l;ever is pulled in. looks like microns aswell. or allspeeds, my memory is shot. ether way, if there tidy then there worth a few quid aswell. a head skim, clean up of the ports and pwk 28mm carbs (kr1/s) will give a fun tool.

I think it's an F with mismatched F2 fairing and chambers .

family%20F1%20red%20white%20blow%20up.jpg

Clocks definitely aren't LC 2.

Top yoke does look like LC2 though .

Take a look HERE ! click on LC history for all the differences in clip-ons , clocks etc.

Does it run ?

When you turn on the ignition it should go " wee-waa-wee" as the PVs do their cleaning cycle .

If so , what state are the crank and bores , should be a reasonably quiet engine .

crank re-cons are quite expensive 200-300 squid , the good news is that most mechanical bits are still available .

If you want it mint and original , it will be a money pit ,( F bodywork is rare) if you want something to hoon around on they are still a right laugh .

Oh and fit Bridgestone BT45 tyres !

Thought I'd update you all. It is indeed an F with F2 bodywork whammed on it (ugh). The clocks are RD500 (randomly...). Nice enough bloke, with lots of paperwork (Stan Stephens rebuild in 96), but it was last on the road in 2006, and has basically sat in a garage ever since. Exhausts are in good nick, inside of the tank is rusty. Non matching engine/frame numbers (surprise surprise). Didn't hear it running as it didn't have a good enough battery on it. Unfortunately, I was less than impressed, and his £600 valuation was way over. I left him with £350 offer, and we'll see what happens.

They should fire up no problem even with a flat battery as far as I know... LC's do anyways. Might just be stale fuel and old sooty plugs but may also be a sign of bigger problems. If you go back to look again take a spark plug along with you so you can check if it's got a spark with out having to dismantle anything too much.

600 quid is reasonably decent f2 territory!!! 800-1000 will get summat good enough to start with ie running ect.. seen some very cheap f2s in recent years. 600 for that is optimistic at best.

A Valve will run with a flat battery , the PVs might get confused , mine had a knackered battery and would start and sort itself out ok , but once it fired and sounded like the exhausts were blowing , went to pull away and it felt like it was on one cylinder , the PVs were in the fully open position , when I got it wound up though :eusa_dance:

600 is steep

THIS is £510 at the moment .

Glad y'all agree. In retrospect, I even think 350 was quite high to go in at for a starting offer. As such, if he does ring back, I won't be budging.

Thanks for that auction Will - if nothing else, it gives me an idea on how to get a half decent looking YPVS from the one I'm looking at (hopefully) cheaply - quick powdercoat of the frame, headlight and brackets and a good tidy up and away into the distance in a haze of screaming. Or something like that...

hiya,

if you do find one and fancy getting a tune on it or just getting the engine sweet, i know someone who can do it, not expensive either, he used to race them and won the lc championship against all the top riders on top spec tuned bikes.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont think its an F, I would say 31k all day long.

Majik , only way to tell for sure is the frame number .

According to the Haynes book of doubt and uncertainty ...

LC2 31K-000101 on... to

F 31K-053101 on ... to

N 31K-077101 on .

Archived