RGV 250, the end is in sight.

Ray Von

It's been 5 years since shes been fully back together, now it mechanically complete (bar a battery).

Just waiting for my decals to arrive now, but couldn't resist a few sunny shots to put up.

HPIM1145.jpg

HPIM1146.jpg

HPIM1147.jpg

HPIM1148.jpg

HPIM1152.jpg

That is actually the Suzuki kit recommended air intake for the race air box, but i've modded mine so the air intake is at the front nose of the bike rather than the side pod on the fairing.

I might change it yet, see if it affects the performance first.

HPIM1145.jpg

HPIM1146.jpg

Nice work :icon_bounce:

I have to admit, I even like the plain white fairings. It gives it that genuine 'customer' bike look (the way most 'race' bikes came out the crate).

You must've spent a bit of time hunting down the parts (Suguya pipes?) or did you have them all to hand already?

I was inspired by one of Kar's designs for the paintwork, the decals are very simarlar (currently in the post) awaiting to be fitted.

Suzuki-RF1000R.jpg

I've had the bike 11 years now, it did belong to lad called Phil Desborough, who won the 1998 SS400 championship on it and wildcarded in the 250cc British GP some years ago.

It came with the kit pipes, ignition, carb, Ohlins rear shock.

I raced it from 1999 to 2004, until a bit of a highside at my last race at Donington in 2004, near enough wrecked the bike, the frame and banana swing arm had to be junked, i think the only things left from the original bike is the engine, forks, shock and pipes(which had to be heavily rebuilt after Donington)

The Astralites were a bargain ebay find , i paid £250 for a front and rear wheel, but the front was a 3" item and i was already using a GSXR400 front wheel (3.5") plus the front astralite had a ding in it, so i sold it to some bloke in France.

The rear is a 5.5" astralite and quite rare for an RGV, as they are normally 5", i was told it might have been an Ex-Whitham back wheel, but who knows?

But it did fit straight in, but the rear disc was a bit of a bugger to fit.

I refitted the kickstarter to it, as i can't be bothered to bump start it anymore, but the engine is heavily tuned, o-ringed head, lifted cylinders to improve the port timing, it needs to be run on 50% avgas / 50% super unleaded, but it goes like billy-so.

The Astralites were a bargain ebay find , i paid £250 for a front and rear wheel, but the front was a 3" item and i was already using a GSXR400 front wheel (3.5") plus the front astralite had a ding in it, so i sold it to some bloke in France.

What happened to Astralite? Does anyone make anything vaguely similar now? I would have thought the design was a pretty good, relatively cheap to manufacture, lightweight idea. - Does anyone know if there are engineering reasons why no one seems to use them anymore?

I had a set of astralites on a race bike once, I thought they were pig ugly and weighed quite a lot, much more than a similar sized set of marvics I had

Astralite went bump quite a few years back.

You're right about the weight, they are no lighter than a standard wheel, but it's the tyre width option isn't the best for a standard 4.5" rim of the original RGV, atleast with this wheel i can fit a proper 160 section tyre.

The other problem with RGV rear wheels is the hub, it's rather small, try anything off a 600 size bike and the hub fouls the swingarm cos they are too big.

Astralite went bump quite a few years back.

You're right about the weight, they are no lighter than a standard wheel, but it's the tyre width option isn't the best for a standard 4.5" rim of the original RGV, atleast with this wheel i can fit a proper 160 section tyre.

The other problem with RGV rear wheels is the hub, it's rather small, try anything off a 600 size bike and the hub fouls the swingarm cos they are too big.

Hmmm.. shame they aren't light!

That's it, all done, i might just lacquer the tank to give it another layer, but there again it could end up in the kitty litter at the first corner.

HPIM1155.jpg

HPIM1159.jpg

HPIM1158.jpg

HPIM1157.jpg

That's it, all done, i might just lacquer the tank to give it another layer, but there again it could end up in the kitty litter at the first corner.

HPIM1155.jpg

HPIM1159.jpg

HPIM1158.jpg

HPIM1157.jpg

That's a beauty. Now cane the nuts of it!

Here's mine

ebay380.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i am just about to start a project like this but with no running gear or anything! starting from the frame up! could be fun!! what forks have you used? and any advice? much appreciated!

i was over in sheffield at where astralites were made not long ago,they have stopped making them but do now make tz cranks

i am just about to start a project like this but with no running gear or anything! starting from the frame up! could be fun!! what forks have you used? and any advice? much appreciated!

They are just the standard 'N' model forks.

But i will be looking to upgrade them come the winter, as they only have preload adjustment and it'd be nice to see how it responds with some modern day forks fitted, after all it is 18 years old.

I have also got a second frame with a crack around the upper rear engine mounting, i going to get this repaired and then again over winter have the frame coated black along with the swingarm, as 18 years of racing (as this has never been a road bike) have taken it's toll on the finish, stuff like stone marks from numerous gravel trap excursions.

• 1 month later...

I had missed this one, I really love it !

That is actually the Suzuki kit recommended air intake for the race air box, but i've modded mine so the air intake is at the front nose of the bike rather than the side pod on the fairing.

I might change it yet, see if it affects the performance first.

have you tested this now ? more info please.

What the hell is that rear wheel?

Apart from that....looks good!

• 2 weeks later...

Can't have airbox lid on it with kit set up, it just goes bap, bap, bap at high revs as it runs out of air.

So have to have lid off and the centre devider cut out too.

Archived