Cross plane crank R1

Mark/Foggy

Ever.

You have been warned, Feckin, Feckin cannot be done.

Doh.

Why not?

Ever.

You have been warned, Feckin, Feckin cannot be done.

Seems like you have just tried and failed dramatically.... So tell us why it cannot be done? Seen a few of these motors being stripped at Ray Stringers place but not seen one stripped that far down.

Sorry bitter frustration and I didn't take pics :icon_blackeye:

Always is difficult to feed the rings in on a standard motor, but at least you've got the pistons operataing in pairs. With the cross plane crank when you try and arrange the pistons in pairs, you're working on all 4 with the pistons rocking in opposite directions and locking in the barrells. Going one at a tme you inevitably get to the last piston being incredible low, and the liner skirt gets badly in the way. At this point you can't rotate the crank to help as one of the others will start to disengage.

Bastard. In essence the blown head gasket that we found on Saturday, which had nibbled at the barrel, now requires a full motor rebuild.

Sorry bitter frustration and I didn't take pics :eusa_whistle:

Always is difficult to feed the rings in on a standard motor, but at least you've got the pistons operataing in pairs. With the cross plane crank when you try and arrange the pistons in pairs, you're working on all 4 with the pistons rocking in opposite directions and locking in the barrells. Going one at a tme you inevitably get to the last piston being incredible low, and the liner skirt gets badly in the way. At this point you can't rotate the crank to help as one of the others will start to disengage.

Bastard. In essence the blown head gasket that we found on Saturday, which had nibbled at the barrel, now requires a full motor rebuild.

Bummers.

Can you use ring retainers on all four pistons?

Bummers.

Can you use ring retainers on all four pistons?

No way, you'd never get 'em out.

And Mille Mille, we should have thought of that, I've just found a powerful magnetic pickup tool with an LED in the end that would have been perfect for catching the little bastards as they fly out. In truth though not sure we had a complete new set of clips, I'll ask Russ to get some ordered when he's getting the new rod bolts needed for the build. I'm thinking that these motors may be a little susceptible to the rigors of road racing and long flat out stretches, may be doing it again on the Island. :eusa_wall:

No way, you'd never get 'em out.

And Mille Mille, we should have thought of that, I've just found a powerful magnetic pickup tool with an LED in the end that would have been perfect for catching the little bastards as they fly out. In truth though not sure we had a complete new set of clips, I'll ask Russ to get some ordered when he's getting the new rod bolts needed for the build. I'm thinking that these motors may be a little susceptible to the rigors of road racing and long flat out stretches, may be doing it again on the Island. :eusa_wall:

Ooh, nasty.

BTW, I was at the TT in 2000 when DJ was on the R1. He was FLAT out down Rhencullen, wheel about 6-8 inches off the floor and the back spinning up so much he was banging it off the limiter repeatedly. That cannot have been good for the motor! Same story down Sulby over the bumps. :icon_pale:

Good luck for the Island, really hope the bikes go well for you. Do you have numbers yet so I can follow you?

Ooh, nasty.

BTW, I was at the TT in 2000 when DJ was on the R1. He was FLAT out down Rhencullen, wheel about 6-8 inches off the floor and the back spinning up so much he was banging it off the limiter repeatedly. That cannot have been good for the motor! Same story down Sulby over the bumps. :eusa_wall:

Good luck for the Island, really hope the bikes go well for you. Do you have numbers yet so I can follow you?

No but we'll not be difficult to find in the paddock, we should know who's riding what then.

Odd motor this one as it doesn't rev out at the top end, no over rev at all. Relies a lot on having a huge flat torque curve, so we'll see how it goes.

I'd be tempted to just hacksaw the skirts off the liners if this lump is gonna make a mess of things :shock:

Mayhap that's not the right attitude.

I'll come say hello, i'm in the paddock with Molly/Farrance. Good luck with the motors, if ya need a hand i might be at a loose end some of the time.

No but we'll not be difficult to find in the paddock, we should know who's riding what then.

*Checks missed-calls on phone*

Y'Bastards.

:wacko:

-John

:)

Archived