Gearshift woes

hoona6

As per the title. I have a Triumph Daytona 955 on a 56 plate and the shocking gearshift is ruining the whole experience for me.

It needs a really positive shift and still it almost feels like the gear doesn't engage cleanly. I've tried everything and improved things slightly by adjusting the chain correctly, adjusting the clutch freeplay at the lever, lowering the gear pedal and shifting with my toe right under the lever but still it's shonky.

Am I missing a huge trick somewhere, do they all do that or is there something sinister occurring deep within my gearbox? :eusa_whistle:

I really want to sort this so that I can get on and enjoy the engine and riding without constantly having to think about the next gearchange.

The bike's only done 5700 miles and I am running the Triumph recommended oil - Mobil Racing 4t 15w-50.

Ideas? :(

Is the oil level OK? Over-fill it and it'll get pretty stiff.

Is the oil level OK? Over-fill it and it'll get pretty stiff.

Oil change on Sunday and filled with 3.2L as per the manual.

Is there a linkage from the gear lever to the selector shaft?

If so make sure all the joints move freely and are clean and lubed.

All those triples have awful boxes in them. My T509 had a lighter box action (fnarrr) than the 955, but it broke 3 times........ There are shifter kits out there that make things better, but I think you will always find the bike a bit agricultural in the gearbox division.... Factory Pro dopn't list an application for the Trumpet though....

All those triples have awful boxes in them. My T509 had a lighter box action (fnarrr) than the 955, but it broke 3 times........ There are shifter kits out there that make things better, but I think you will always find the bike a bit agricultural in the gearbox division.... Factory Pro dopn't list an application for the Trumpet though....

Tell me more about these aforementioned shift kits...

Tell me more about these aforementioned shift kits...

I was thinking of the Factory Pro kits, but they don't seem to list one for the Trumpets.

http://www.factorypro.com/

Oil change on Sunday and filled with 3.2L as per the manual.

Ignore the manual as there'll always be an unknown amount left in there, just go off the sight-glass or dipstick, whatever you've got. That said, the discrepancy between you putting in the amount in the manual and the box being overfilled the tiniest amount doesn't add up to enough to give a different feeling shift.

So after a bit of internet ferretting and forum whoring, it would seem that for some odd reason, Triumph went from a direct shift lever to a linkage setup for the last model year. Most people reckon the direct shift is much better. The parts are interchangeable so I've gone and ordered a new gear shift lever.

How much you ask? £59....+VAT. :icon_salut:

We'll see...

Archived