Magnesium Wheels

Gobert23

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered numerous times before, but I'm looking to find a place that will inspect, 'NDT' (Non-Destructive Test) a pair of magnesium wheels and 're-finish' them (e.g. chromate and paint or powdercoat).

Dymag used to offer a service (used them previously), but no longer do so :lol:

So, trying to find a recommendation and contact information for a reputable place. Has anyone any experience of this, recently? Contact details?

Ideally, I'm looking for someone in the North (so that I'd be able to delivey/collect in person), but don't mind if I've got to arrange transport/courier.

Ta muchlies.

G :eusa_whistle:

For just the refinishing side, what primer and pait can be used? I've a couple of sets of magnesium dymags...would like them in white.

I know people that do blasting and coatings, but I wouldn't trust them with a set of mag' wheels.

Cheers folks, that's got me on the right track for a start...

A 'one stop shop' might not be the cheapest option, but I want to take the greatest of care to get this right.

G

I know people that do blasting and coatings, but I wouldn't trust them with a set of mag' wheels.

Cheers folks, that's got me on the right track for a start...

A 'one stop shop' might not be the cheapest option, but I want to take the greatest of care to get this right.

G

I might be able to get them x rayed at work, would that be any good to you ?

I might be able to get them x rayed at work, would that be any good to you ?

I think they need to be stripped and chromated first(?)

Mille, would that be right?

:eusa_whistle:

Q. Where are you?

When I deal with old magnesium race car parts I get them blasted, crack tested, chromated, and then painted In that order. I only get the parts die penetrant tested, which is cheaper than X-raying or ultra-sound testing. This was on the recommendation of the company who do the testing, they tell me the later two methods are only useful for showing up flaws from the manufacturing process.

I have a mate near Andover who can handle the chromating and NDT if you want.

I presume the disc bols should be zinc coated if screwed into a mag hub?

In for a penny, in for a pound... I was hoping that I coudl source some tasty (Ti) nuts from the Tootall-age :icon_salut:

I think they need to be stripped and chromated first(?)

Mille, would that be right?

:(

Q. Where are you?

Ill have a word with the matey who works the machine (who funnily enough looks like the ready brek man) and see what he says.

Not too sure on the cost but it won't be as expensive as you think :icon_bounce:

Im from darn sarf ( just outside that london )

Ill have a word with the matey who works the machine (who funnily enough looks like the ready brek man) and see what he says.

Not too sure on the cost but it won't be as expensive as you think :D

Im from darn sarf ( just outside that london )

Nicely...

I can get the wheels down as far as Stevenage, if I carry them onto a train with me.

I really don't want to trust a postal / courier service unless I absolutely have to...

• 3 weeks later...

Wheels are now off to TPCS...

If Steve's good to his word, then it should be a 'one stop shop' for getting everything checked over and refrubished to the exact finish that I need.

I've learned a lesson already though -> Ship / Post the wheels in separate boxes, as it's cheaper to do it that way through Parcel Force / Royal Mail 'Special' Parcels.

Standard insurance, per parcel, is limited to £500. So I paid the (not inconsiderable) extra to make sure that the true value of the wheels was covered.

<fingers-crossed>

G

• 2 weeks later...

The good news is that the wheels have passed inspection (hurrah!) and are now being refinished (properly!)

:eusa_whistle:

how much do the charge to have them refurbashed?as i could do with mine doing,sone chips at 165 plus are making them a bit tatey.

Wheels completed... and should be getting shipped back to me this weekend (fingers-crossed) :eusa_whistle:

I've bought a set of Bridgeport 90d valves and got some new bearings sorted out as well...

Here's hoping that they'll be 'reet :thumbsup:

<pictures soon>

G

• 2 weeks later...

I really should've extracted a digit and done this sooner, but unpacked the wheels today ->

dsc00836ft.jpg

dsc00837w.jpg

dsc00839sr.jpg

dsc00838dm.jpg

dsc00840l.jpg

Can't fault the service at all. Wheels came back, just as requested and with a new set of front wheel bearings as well.

I'll get the 90d valves slotted into place, then have a nose around for some decent tyres...

:D

What did they do to your wheels NDT wise?

Both X-ray and ultrasonic testing are overkill for in service wheels, Just imagine the time it would take to test 100% of the surface this way.

Also, radiographic inspection is poor for small tight fatigue cracks unless the angle of the crack is spot on to the angle of the beam. For a good radiographic result a defect really needs to be volumetric and not planar.

The best solution for NDT inspection of wheels that have been in use is to remove all the surface paint finish and penetrant inspect them.

Aircraft wheels get an eddy current inspection every tyre change and an overhaul every fifth tyre change which is paint strip and penetrant inspection.

Oh, and paint removal is not required for ultrasonic inspection unless the paint is loose, uneven or massively thick.

What did they do to your wheels NDT wise?

I'll drop Steve (at TPCS) an Email and get an explanation, straight from the horse's mouth.

G

• 4 weeks later...

Oops, apologies...

I dropped Steve Turner (Mr 'TPCS') a note, so that he can describe the process in his own words...

Archived