ZXR 750 L1 Top End Tick

smemly

Hi All,

I've been lurking in the background for quite some time, recently i purchased a ZXR 750 L1 which i'm pretty chuffed with. One of the things that i've noticed is that their is a ticking sound coming from the top end of the engine. This ticking speeds up with the engine revs but is only just noticable.

I've read somewhere that ZXR's have a noisy top end, is this true? As a precausion i've bought a new cam chain tensioner and was going to replace the original. Is it possible to replace the tensioner without retiming the engine?

I've read somewhere that ZXR's have a noisy top end, is this true?

Is it possible to replace the tensioner without retiming the engine?

Yes, and yes.

Some do tend to be a little tappy, but dont let that stop you from get the clearances checked and adjusted. If you get them done and its still a little tappy, don't worry about it.

Yes the tensioner can be replaced without messing up the timing, but they are 'very' fiddly to get out with the motor in place. You'll do lots of swearing when you realise you can manage less than quarter of a turn on the bolts that hold them in! :icon_puke_r:

Cheers Barry,

I have a receipt for a clearance check with the bike, showing they were done and adjusted within the last couple of months. Had a little attempt at the tensioner last night, they appear to have placed the bottom bolt in a position where a socket cannot be used as the wrench hits the frame and as you said, a spanner can only just be turned. Will return to the garage for some more swearing in a bit.

Ohh and your modified ZXR thread has filled me with crazy ideas....

I've read somewhere that ZXR's have a noisy top end, is this true?

:(

try one with flatslides on it too. Mine sounds like someone pushing a spindryer full of cutlery down a flight of stairs.

welcome on board fella, its always good to see another ZXR Owner. :icon_puke_r:

;)

try one with flatslides on it too. Mine sounds like someone pushing a spindryer full of cutlery down a flight of stairs.

Add a carbon race airbox into the mix and it get a lot worse! <_<

The FCR's on my K are surprisingly quiet, as is the motor. I thought something was wrong! :tacheemoticonwh7:

Archived