Very noddy question

AntLockyer

Changing the rear chock on my 97 zx6r. The H*ynes manual said to take out the rear shock bolt and the rear linkage bolt at the bottom of the dogbone. The issue is that that bolt can't come out as it hits the exhaust. Is there a trick or do I have to take the effin exhaust off too?

This wouldn't be to bad if it was nice and safe on an ABBA stand but it's rather gently swaying propped up with all sorts of unsafe methods in my garage :icon_salut:

The shock is completely loose, swing arm as low as it will go and there is still a tiny bit more room needed. Can't undo the top bolt on the linkage and am in danger of rounding it off if I keep on trying.

Thinking about loosely lashing it all back together and seeing if someone can nut gun the top bolt off.

Will post comedy pics later if the thing doesn't topple over in the meantime.

It might be best to remove the exhaust, not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. Got a tip for you though, I figured this out when swapping swingarms....

Put two tables, or something stable of similar height, one on either side of the back end of the bike. Put a bar (I used 3mm wall, 25mm square tube, 2.5M long) through the pillion peg brackets and across the tops of the tables. I tied the subframe to the bar so that the bike couldn't tip over. This basically creates a wide, stable bridge between the tables. With the subframe resting on it. If you need to raise the rear more, put equal thickness blocks of wood under the ends of the bar, on the tables. The rear end will be off the ground, and rock solid. It's a bit rough looking, but it's safe as houses. I don't have any pics, I hope you get my drift..

I've put it back together and will put the plastics back on later :icon_salut:

I think I'll have to pay someone to do it, although as I'm skint and need the bike to get me to work it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Archived