Garage Lighting

fran9r

I have a rented lock-up, a 5 min walk from the house. It's currently used to store bits, but it would be nice to use it to swing a hammer.

Any ideas on how to light it? Ideally rechargable batteries, and it needs to be bright because the door needs to be closed really -I'd rather people didn't see the bike bits inside.

I have a rented lock-up, a 5 min walk from the house. It's currently used to store bits, but it would be nice to use it to swing a hammer.

Any ideas on how to light it? Ideally rechargable batteries, and it needs to be bright because the door needs to be closed really -I'd rather people didn't see the bike bits inside.

I've got a distinctly low-tech solution.

Big fuck-off car battery [from an old 5 series] and a 12v inspection lamp, hung on a nail from the rafters.

Plenty bright enough for general firtling and if I need more light in a particular spot I can move it to wherever.

Very occasionally I have to take the battery home & plug it into an optimate, takes about 4 days to recharge.

I also find one of these to be extremely useful - LED head torch - handsfree innit

petzltikkaxp.jpg

It's a bit of a black hole, so maybe a couple of LED linspection lamps/batteries, but it sounds good.

I did think about that Pete, but I should have said it needs to be stealthy...otherwise the garage will be broken into!

You can buy battery powered lights from places like B&Q. A few of those and some packets of rechargeable batteries and you should be in business I'd have thought?

you can be stealthy with generators, they are very quiet these days. it will also allow you to run other electrical appliences like the important kettle or a compressor

the one we got has the mains lead built in, and as far as i am aware came with batteries. i'll try and find out where he got it, it wasnt the link, that was just an example.

Great posts people, thanks very much.

I've asked the ebay seller about the batteries, and the rechargable one seems an easier option for me, I'll have to think.

Whitewashing is a good idea, but unfortunately it's a rented lock-up, and I don't think they will go for that.

when I had a lock-up at my old house, I painted the walls white with cheap paint, and then bought a caravan battery and inverter. Connected up a couple of enrgy saving lamps and I was sorted. took the battery back in to the house when I was done and put it on the optimate.

What about camping gas (gaz) lights. I know you will have to buy the gas cannisters, but if you buy a small stove you can have a cuppa as well. Also the lights give off some heat (if you is in there in the winter). Last for a fair old while, and I'd get some cheap white emulsion and paint the insides (as others have already said)

Paul

This is where I have got too.

I've thought about various posts, but I'm thinking simple is key here -so I after finding this: http://www.rolsontools.com/search.asp?page...%20Work%20Light I thought I was sorted. Apparently, no bugger has stock, anywhere, until the end of June. I'll have to order one and see how I get on, maybe get another if required.

Until then, I'll use a couple of these: http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=1...lType=2#Related and one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PJCE2S/ref=...ASIN=B000PJCE2S for good measure.

The wind up side of things really appeals for when I forget to charge the main battery, or it runs out as I work.

I appreciate people's opinions, but I can't get away with any noise so a genny is out, as is a solar panel -it will lead to people wondering what is going on...and it's a council garage so I don't want to paint it incase I get billed to put it back!

The gas idea is good, and I could use a caravan bottle I have kicking about...might have to look into that one.

If anyone has any other ideas, let me know.

fit the garage with a sliding glass roof, and possibly a wine cellar, ohh ohh what about a stealth tunnel between it and your house so no one can see you?and paint the walls with that glow in the dark paint(so you can work at night)

:icon_blackeye:

fit the garage with a sliding glass roof, and possibly a wine cellar, ohh ohh what about a stealth tunnel between it and your house so no one can see you?and paint the walls with that glow in the dark paint(so you can work at night)

:icon_blackeye:

Erm, yes. I've been measuring up for a workbench, does that count?

Oh, and if it's practical, whitewash all the walls and ceiling - it'll make the most of what little light you do have available.

This, many times over.

Bettery operated lights are shit, all of them. You can pay lots and get better shit, but it's still shit. Make the most of whatever light you have.

This, many times over.

Bettery operated lights are shit, all of them. You can pay lots and get better shit, but it's still shit. Make the most of whatever light you have.

But it's not possible...it's rented, and they won't go for it. But the colour is a light grey, so not too bad.

I run an 30 meter extension cord from the house, to a 5 power point board in the shed, I have four double 36watt batons on the ceiling wired to one plug, and two single 36watt batons over the benches, wired to another plug. These are plugged into the 5 board, along with a cd player, and I can still run the air compressor at the same time.

These shots were taken at 9pm...without a flash.

nightshed002.jpg

nightshed003.jpg

nightshed005.jpg

Light enough for me to polish the beast within an inch of its life, even the shock linkage!

I have to dig a 30 meter trench from the house to the shed, to run mains power from the fuse box. I've been putting it off!

Ps.The 5 plug board has a 10 amp 2400 watt overload cutout, so I can't use the welder, but still...

Edit...sorry, I got carried away reading the responses, and forgot you're not on your property...what they said! :eusa_whistle:

But it's not possible...it's rented, and they won't go for it. But the colour is a light grey, so not too bad.

Hang some painter's white dust sheets on the walls.

Just make sure you tell the painter first.

..."Taxi!"

I run an 30 meter extension cord from the house, to a 5 power point board in the shed, I have four double 36watt batons on the ceiling wired to one plug, and two single 36watt batons over the benches, wired to another plug. These are plugged into the 5 board, along with a cd player, and I can still run the air compressor at the same time.

These shots were taken at 9pm...without a flash.

nightshed002.jpg

nightshed003.jpg

nightshed005.jpg

Light enough for me to polish the beast within an inch of its life, even the shock linkage!

I have to dig a 30 meter trench from the house to the shed, to run mains power from the fuse box. I've been putting it off!

Ps.The 5 plug board has a 10 amp 2400 watt overload cutout, so I can't use the welder, but still...

Edit...sorry, I got carried away reading the responses, and forgot you're not on your property...what they said! :icon_salut:

I would kill for that much space for bikes!

Hang some painter's white dust sheets on the walls.

Just make sure you tell the painter first.

..."Taxi!"

I was thinking about that...I like!

I was also thinking about some car batteries (as Monkey suggested), but teaming them with the kind of lights found in caravan's...I'm thinking they should be lower drain.

Then I need some ideas where to pick up some cheap kitchen worktop from -I'll need 3m worth.

Then I need some ideas where to pick up some cheap kitchen worktop from -I'll need 3m worth.

Ask at the stores of somewhere like Howdens. They quite often have a damaged piece lying around. A tenner in the storemans pocket and everyone is happy :eusa_whistle:

The only problem is getting it home.

http://www.howdens.com/

Archived