zx6r high speed running problems

mpotnoodle

my zx6r starts no probs and ticks over smoothly and revs right up without a stutter when stationary but when you get into 4th 5th and 6th it just stutters along and you have to go into the lower gears where it revs right up i`ve cleaned the carbs it has a race exhaust on it the fuel tank breather is okay ,could it be the fuel pump,it also has a small fuel filter and k&n air filter would this make a difference,or is it maybe more dirt in the fuel

any help would be great thanks mike

my carbs have got two pipes sticking out the front facing forwards they have nothing connected to them i just thought they are cab breathers there is no vacuum system fitted to it which could be what they were joined to the bikes sat in the garage so long there could be bits missing now,i took the plugs out and they are light in colour so i think its running lean

What year 6R is it?

The 2 pipes should be connected to a pipe that runs to the front of the bike inside the intake.

The pipe can be seen in this pic running accross the front of the carbs.

DSC_3594.jpg

the pipe is part number 32151 in this diagram.

as you can see it splits and goes to the front of the ram air into the air flow.

air-duct-1999-g2-zx600_bigkae0505e1131_eff8.gif

F's are still ram-air, so those pipes should be attached to the ram air ducts on the front of the bike.

Without them the bike will struggle to fuel properly.

Streetfightered bikes have the ram air and the pipes removed normally.

the pipes balance the pressure on the fuel side with the air side. once the ram air starts to have an effect the balance will be by the pipes in the intake.

i`ll look tomorrow does it make such a differnce as i`ve seen some streetfighterd bikes which run okay

Without the ram air balance pipe connected, my 9 would struggle to 80.

A shitefightered ram air bike will have the balance pipe re-routed to the airbox. Quite why this isn't done at the factory is a mystery...it would at least stop me doing it every time I take the fairing off!

If there are any sharp turns or splits in the pipe this will also have a massive effect.

Archived